Oct. 15, 1926 - Jan. 15, 2013
Marlys I. Smith, age 86, of Hauntown, Iowa died Tuesday, January 15, 2013, at Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House, Bettendorf, Iowa.
A funeral service will be held 11 a.m. Saturday, January 19, 2013, at the First United Presbyterian Church, Miles, Iowa with visitation one hour prior to the service at the church. A visitation will also be held from 4 to 8 p.m. Friday, January 18, 2012, at the church. Burial will take place in Smith Cemetery, Almont, Iowa.
A memorial fund has been established in Marlys’ memory. Online condolences may be left for the family at www.lawjonesfuneralhome.com.
Marlys was born October 15, 1926, the daughter of August and Irene (Anton) Stahnke in rural LaPorte City, Iowa. She is a graduate of LaPorte City High School, class of 1943. She received her teaching diploma from the University of Dubuque in 1945. Marlys married Dan Smith on September 2, 1950, in LaPorte City. Marlys taught at the Miles grade school for five years. While her husband, Dan, served in Korea, she taught in Cedar Rapids from 1952 to 1953.
Marlys later taught in the Sabula Elementary School. After teaching, she was a homemaker for many years.
Marlys loved flowers and gardening. She was a member of the First United Presbyterian Church, the Miles Literary Club and Jackson County Retired Teachers.
Marlys will be dearly missed by her husband, Dan; two sons, Keith (Catherine) Smith of Waterloo, Iowa, Ken (Rae Ellen) Smith of Placerville, California; a daughter, Kay (Dennis) Ortscheid of Woodbury, Minnesota; seven grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.
Marlys is preceded in death by her parents; one brother, Harold Stahnke; three sisters, Cleo Brecher, Korene Wirtz and Edna Glasner.
Death date: Jan. 15, 2013
Oct. 15, 1926 - Jan. 15, 2013
- Linda Kay Schnoor ClintonLinda Kay SchnoorLinda Kay Schnoor, 69, of Clinton, died Tuesday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City.Arrangements are pending at Lemke Funeral Home.
- Joseph E. Barlow Joseph E. BarlowSept. 2, 1967 - July 27, 2014CLINTON — Joseph E. Barlow, 46, of Clinton, died Sunday, July 27, 2014 in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa.Funeral services will be 11:00 a.m., Friday, August 1, 2014 at the Gateway Baptist Church. Burial will be in the
- Howard Paul Johnson Howard Paul JohnsonDec. 16, 1931 - July 28, 2014SAVANNA, Ill. — Howard Paul Johnson was a loving dad, grandpa, and husband. He died at the age of 82, on Monday, July 28, 2014 at Big Meadows Nursing Home surrounded by his loving family. A funeral serv
- Joseph Barlow CLINTON — Joseph Barlow, 46, of Clinton, died Sunday in Mount Pleasant.Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Friday at Gateway Baptist Church in Clinton. Visitation will be from 9 a.m. to the service time Friday at the church. A complete obituary will
- Robert Hammer Robert HammerJan. 31, 1930 - July 27, 2014CLINTON — Robert Hammer, age 84, of Clinton, passed away Sunday, July 27, 2014 at his home. Funeral services will be held at 12:00 noon on Saturday, August 2, 2014 at St. John Lutheran Church. Visitation will
- Joseph Barlow ClintonJoseph BarlowJoseph Barlow, 46, of Clinton, died Sunday in Mount Pleasant. Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Olive Eloise Speer HANOVER, Ill. — Olive Eloise Speer, 104, of Hanover, died Thursday at home.A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at the Hanover United Presbyterian Church. Burial will be in the Evergreen Cemetery in Hanover. A visitation will be held
- Linda J. Pro Linda J. ProSep. 19, 1943 - July 23, 2014WEST HARTFORD, Conn. – Linda J. Pro, 70, of West Hartford, Connecticut, formerly of Clinton, passed away Wednesday, July 23, 2014 at the Hartford Hospital.Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m., Thursday, July 31
- Joseph F. Clancy Joseph F. ClancyFeb. 23, 1968 - July 27, 2014CEDAR RAPIDS — Joseph F. Clancy, age 46, of Cedar Rapids, IA, formerly of Clinton, died Sunday, July 27, 2014 at his mother’s home in Clinton, surrounded by his family. A gathering of friends and family wi
- Robert Hammer CLINTON — Robert Hammer, 84, of Clinton, died Sunday at home.Funeral services will be held at noon Saturday at St. John Lutheran Church. Visitation will be from 10 a.m. until the funeral time Saturday at the church. A complete obituary will appear i
- More Obituaries Headlines