Oct. 15, 1926 - Jan. 15, 2013
Marlys I. Smith, age 86, of Hauntown, Iowa died Tuesday, January 15, 2013, at Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House, Bettendorf, Iowa.
A funeral service will be held 11 a.m. Saturday, January 19, 2013, at the First United Presbyterian Church, Miles, Iowa with visitation one hour prior to the service at the church. A visitation will also be held from 4 to 8 p.m. Friday, January 18, 2012, at the church. Burial will take place in Smith Cemetery, Almont, Iowa.
A memorial fund has been established in Marlys’ memory. Online condolences may be left for the family at www.lawjonesfuneralhome.com.
Marlys was born October 15, 1926, the daughter of August and Irene (Anton) Stahnke in rural LaPorte City, Iowa. She is a graduate of LaPorte City High School, class of 1943. She received her teaching diploma from the University of Dubuque in 1945. Marlys married Dan Smith on September 2, 1950, in LaPorte City. Marlys taught at the Miles grade school for five years. While her husband, Dan, served in Korea, she taught in Cedar Rapids from 1952 to 1953.
Marlys later taught in the Sabula Elementary School. After teaching, she was a homemaker for many years.
Marlys loved flowers and gardening. She was a member of the First United Presbyterian Church, the Miles Literary Club and Jackson County Retired Teachers.
Marlys will be dearly missed by her husband, Dan; two sons, Keith (Catherine) Smith of Waterloo, Iowa, Ken (Rae Ellen) Smith of Placerville, California; a daughter, Kay (Dennis) Ortscheid of Woodbury, Minnesota; seven grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.
Marlys is preceded in death by her parents; one brother, Harold Stahnke; three sisters, Cleo Brecher, Korene Wirtz and Edna Glasner.
Death date: Jan. 15, 2013
Oct. 15, 1926 - Jan. 15, 2013
- Martin Allen Stansbarger ClintonMartin Allen StansbargerMartin Allen Stansbarger died Saturday at birth at Mercy Medical Center North.Arrangements are pending at Lemke Funeral Homes.
- John W. Bousman John W. BousmanOct. 20, 1937 - July 18, 2014CLINTON — John W. Bousman Sr., age 76, of Clinton, died Friday, July 18, 2014, at the University of Iowa Hospital in Iowa City, surrounded by his family. They released him from all medical intervention and
- Lola Alice Lange FULTON, Ill. — Lola Alice Lange, 98, of Morrison, Illinois, died Saturday at Resthave Home in Morrison.Funeral services will be at 10 a.m. Thursday at the Fulton Chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home, with the Rev. James Camp officiating. Visitatio
- Charles 'Charlie' L. Sexton Charles ‘Charlie’ L. SextonAug. 17, 1942 - July 18, 2014CLINTON — Charles “Charlie” L. Sexton, 71, of Clinton, passed away, Friday, July 18, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center, Clinton.Funeral Services will be 10:30 a.m., Wednesday, July 23, 2014 at the Cl
- Marjorie Behne WHEATLAND — Marjorie (Easton) Behne, 86, of Wheatland, died Friday at Wheatland Manor.Visitation will be from 4 to 7 p.m. today at Schultz Funeral Home in Grand Mound. A service of Christian burial will be held at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday at Christian Free
- Promise Rose Honeywell Promise Rose HoneywellJuly 7, 1977 - July 13, 2014LA CROSSE, Wis. — Promise Rose Honeywell, DC, 37, of La Crosse, Wisconsin, died Sunday, July 13, 2014 at her sister’s home in Blaine, Minnesota.She was born on July 7, 1977, to Robert and Therese (Wal
- Ethan Adam Olsen-McAllister CORTLAND, Ill. — Ethan Adam Olsen-McAllister, newborn son of Kristi and Tracie Olsen-McAllister of Cortland, died Friday at Kishwaukee Hospital in DeKalb.All services will be private.Death date: July 18, 2014
- Brenda Aiken DeWittBrenda AikenBrenda (Henning) Aiken, 68, of DeWitt, died Friday at home.Arrangements are pending at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt.
- Bernice Viola Sander CLINTON — Bernice Viola Sander, 100, of Clinton, died Thursday at home.Memorial services will be at 11 a.m. Friday at the Clinton Church of Christ. Burial will be in the Clinton Lawn Cemetery.Death date: July 17, 2014
- Bernice V. Sander ClintonBernice V. SanderBernice V. Sander, 100, of Clinton, died Thursday at home.Services are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Home and Crematory.
- More Obituaries Headlines