Oct. 15, 1926 - Jan. 15, 2013
Marlys I. Smith, age 86, of Hauntown, Iowa died Tuesday, January 15, 2013, at Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House, Bettendorf, Iowa.
A funeral service will be held 11 a.m. Saturday, January 19, 2013, at the First United Presbyterian Church, Miles, Iowa with visitation one hour prior to the service at the church. A visitation will also be held from 4 to 8 p.m. Friday, January 18, 2012, at the church. Burial will take place in Smith Cemetery, Almont, Iowa.
A memorial fund has been established in Marlys’ memory. Online condolences may be left for the family at www.lawjonesfuneralhome.com.
Marlys was born October 15, 1926, the daughter of August and Irene (Anton) Stahnke in rural LaPorte City, Iowa. She is a graduate of LaPorte City High School, class of 1943. She received her teaching diploma from the University of Dubuque in 1945. Marlys married Dan Smith on September 2, 1950, in LaPorte City. Marlys taught at the Miles grade school for five years. While her husband, Dan, served in Korea, she taught in Cedar Rapids from 1952 to 1953.
Marlys later taught in the Sabula Elementary School. After teaching, she was a homemaker for many years.
Marlys loved flowers and gardening. She was a member of the First United Presbyterian Church, the Miles Literary Club and Jackson County Retired Teachers.
Marlys will be dearly missed by her husband, Dan; two sons, Keith (Catherine) Smith of Waterloo, Iowa, Ken (Rae Ellen) Smith of Placerville, California; a daughter, Kay (Dennis) Ortscheid of Woodbury, Minnesota; seven grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.
Marlys is preceded in death by her parents; one brother, Harold Stahnke; three sisters, Cleo Brecher, Korene Wirtz and Edna Glasner.
Death date: Jan. 15, 2013
Oct. 15, 1926 - Jan. 15, 2013
- Richard N. Varner CLINTON -- Richard N. Varner, 84, of Clinton, died Sunday at Mercy Medical Center South. Funeral services will be at 2 p.m. Thursday at Lemke Funeral Homes South chapel. Visitation will begin one hour before the service time at 1 p.m. at the funeral
- Camilla P. Siders Maquoketa Camilla P. Siders Camilla P. Siders, 95, of Maquoketa, died Sunday at the Maquoketa Care Center. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Roberta Ann Tichler Roberta Ann Tichler July 24, 1937 - March 9, 2014 FULTON, Ill. -- Roberta Ann Tichler, 76, of Fulton, died Sunday, March 9, 2014 at CGH Medical Center in Sterling, IL after her courageous battle with cancer; surrounded by her loving family. Funeral s
- James C. Thyne Clinton James C. Thyne James C. Thyne, 62, of Clinton, died Monday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. Arrangements are pending at Pape Funeral Home.
- Pamela J. Harlock Pamela J. Harlock Aug. 16, 1951 - March 6, 2014 CLINTON -- Pamela J. Harlock, age 63, of Clinton, IA, died Thursday, March 6, 2014 at her home in San Antonio, TX. Funeral services will be held Friday at 10:30 a.m. March 14th at the Pape Funeral Home
- Gary M. Ferris FULTON, Ill. -- Gary M. Ferris, 67, of Fulton, died Sunday at Mercy Medical Center in Clinton. There will be no visitation or funeral services. Cremation rites have been accorded. Death date: March 9, 2014 Gary M. Ferris
- Theresa Marie Blake-Johnson ANDREW -- Theresa Marie Blake-Johnson, 34, of Andrew, died Saturday at her home, from injuries sustained in a house fire. A celebration of her life will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation
- Catherine Petras Camanche Catherine Petras Catherine Petras, 62, of Camanche, died Monday at home. Arrangements are pending at Lemke Funeral Homes.
- Joyce E. Andersen Joyce E. Andersen Oct. 1, 1934 - March 8, 2014 CLINTON — Joyce E. Andersen, age 79, of Clinton, passed away Saturday March 8, 2014 at her home. Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m. Thursday, March 13t,h at the Church of the Open Door, Clinton. Visita
- Wilma J. Owen DeWitt Wilma J. Owen Wilma J. Owen, 74, of DeWitt, died Friday at Genesis Medical Center East in Davenport. Arrangements are pending at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt.
- More Obituaries Headlines