Oct. 15, 1926 - Jan. 15, 2013
Marlys I. Smith, age 86, of Hauntown, Iowa died Tuesday, January 15, 2013, at Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House, Bettendorf, Iowa.
A funeral service will be held 11 a.m. Saturday, January 19, 2013, at the First United Presbyterian Church, Miles, Iowa with visitation one hour prior to the service at the church. A visitation will also be held from 4 to 8 p.m. Friday, January 18, 2012, at the church. Burial will take place in Smith Cemetery, Almont, Iowa.
A memorial fund has been established in Marlys’ memory. Online condolences may be left for the family at www.lawjonesfuneralhome.com.
Marlys was born October 15, 1926, the daughter of August and Irene (Anton) Stahnke in rural LaPorte City, Iowa. She is a graduate of LaPorte City High School, class of 1943. She received her teaching diploma from the University of Dubuque in 1945. Marlys married Dan Smith on September 2, 1950, in LaPorte City. Marlys taught at the Miles grade school for five years. While her husband, Dan, served in Korea, she taught in Cedar Rapids from 1952 to 1953.
Marlys later taught in the Sabula Elementary School. After teaching, she was a homemaker for many years.
Marlys loved flowers and gardening. She was a member of the First United Presbyterian Church, the Miles Literary Club and Jackson County Retired Teachers.
Marlys will be dearly missed by her husband, Dan; two sons, Keith (Catherine) Smith of Waterloo, Iowa, Ken (Rae Ellen) Smith of Placerville, California; a daughter, Kay (Dennis) Ortscheid of Woodbury, Minnesota; seven grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.
Marlys is preceded in death by her parents; one brother, Harold Stahnke; three sisters, Cleo Brecher, Korene Wirtz and Edna Glasner.
Death date: Jan. 15, 2013
Oct. 15, 1926 - Jan. 15, 2013
- Janice 'Jan' Brondyke CLINTON -- Janice "Jan" Brondyke, 68, of Clinton, died March 28 in Kingwood, Texas. She will be cremated and her ashes spread on Galveston Beach, Texas. She is survived by her brother, Jim. Death date: March 28, 2014 Janice 'Jan' Brondyke
- Jane B. Meyer Clinton Jane B. Meyer Jane B. Meyer, 84, of Clinton, died Sunday at Mercy Living Center South. Arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home.
- Kenneth R. Buck MADISON, Wis. -- Kenneth R. Buck, 76, of Madison, and formerly of Mount Carroll, Ill., died Wednesday at home. A funeral service will be held at noon Saturday at Frank-Law-Jones Funeral Home in Mount Carroll. A visitation will be held from 10 a.m. to
- Eunice J. Leibert Eunice J. Leibert Dec. 4, 1931 - April 21, 2014 CLINTON -- Eunice J. Leibert, age 82, of Clinton, died Monday April 21st at Trinity Regional Health System in Bettendorf. Funeral services will be held 11:00 a.m. Thursday at the Pape Funeral Home. Visi
- Nancy L. Weed Clinton Nancy L. Weed Nancy L. Weed, 69, of Clinton, died Monday at home. Arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home in Clinton.
- Henrietta 'Etta' Jane Wiebenga Henrietta "Etta" Jane Wiebenga Jan. 19, 1924 - April 20, 2014 CLINTON -- Henrietta "Etta" Jane Wiebenga, 90, of Prairie Hills Senior Living Center in Clinton, IA; formerly of Fulton, IL, died Sunday, April 20, 2014, at Mercy Living Center South, Clin
- Eleanor J. Douglas MORRISON, Ill. -- Eleanor J. Douglas, 93, of Pleasant View Nursing Home, Morrison, died Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at the nursing home. The funeral will begin at 10:30 AM Tuesday, April 22, 2014 at the Morrison Chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home,
- Willard Henricksen PRESTON -- Willard Henricksen, 96, of Preston, died Friday at Crest Ridge Care Center in Maquoketa. Cremation rites will be accorded and inurnment will take place at a later date. Death date: April 18, 2014 Willard Henricksen
- Ralph D. 'Buddy' Mundhank Ralph D. 'Buddy' Mundhank May 18, 1937 - April 18, 2014 DAVENPORT -- Ralph D. "Buddy" Mundhank, 76, of Davenport, went to be with the Lord Friday, April 18, 2014 at his home in Clinton. A memorial gathering for friends and family will be Monday (4/21
- Susan 'Sue' M. Wing Susan 'Sue' M. Wing Nov. 9, 1950 - April 18, 2014 CLINTON -- Susan "Sue" M. Wing, 63, of Clinton, passed away, Friday, April 18, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center - North Campus, Clinton, Iowa. A Memorial Gathering will be held on Tuesday, April 22, 2014
- More Obituaries Headlines