SAVANNA, Ill. —
Sept. 23, 1922 - Jan. 27, 2013
Florence Lillian Wheetley, age 90, of Savanna, Illinois, died at home Sunday, January 27, 2013, in the company of her family.
A funeral service will be held 10:30 a.m. Friday, February 1, at the Law-Jones Funeral Home in Savanna with minister Anne Holmberg officiating. Visitation will be held 4 to 7 p.m. Thursday, January 31, at the Law-Jones Funeral Home in Savanna. Burial will be in Savanna Township Cemetery. A memorial fund has been established in Florence’s memory. Online condolences may be left for the family at www.lawjonesfuneralhome.com.
Florence was born September 23, 1922, the daughter of Fred and Anna (Goenne) Dohse in Clinton, Iowa. She married Woodrow Doyle Wheetley on March 17, 1951, in Lansing, Illinois. Woodrow passed away October 30, 1983.
Florence worked at the Clinton Garment Factory during the 60’s. After moving to Savanna, she worked at the Tastee-Freez from the late 60’s to the late 80’s; a job that she loved. She was an avid NASCAR fan and she enjoyed watching the exploits of the Chicago Cubs, Bears and Bulls. She also loved birds and had a large collection of cardinal and eagle figurines. She enjoyed working on jigsaw puzzles (the harder the better) and listening to country music (Randy Travis was her favorite). Above all, she was an excellent cook.
Florence will be greatly missed by her son, Michael (Sue) Wheetley of Savanna; her trusted friend, Louise Brouillard of Savanna; five grandchildren: Curtis (Christie) Wheetley of Mt. Carroll, Jared (Corinthia Black) Wheetley of Waterloo, Iowa, Chandra Wheetley of West Des Moines, Iowa, Joseph (Angie) Taylor of Thomson and Wendi (Jeff) Shafer of Franklin Grove; six great-grandchildren: Miles and Isabelle Wheetley, Owen Albers, Dylan and Tyler Stacey and Aidan Taylor; her cousin, Paulette Quick; and several other cousins, nieces and nephews.
Florence is preceded in death by her parents; her husband, Woodrow; a brother, Virtus Dohse; and four sisters, Evelyn Roberts, Betty Orth, Norma Buss and Dolores Bouback.
Death date: Jan. 27, 2013
SAVANNA, Ill. —
Sept. 23, 1922 - Jan. 27, 2013
- Douglas W. Fulton Douglas W. Fulton March 21, 1944 - April 15, 2014 CLINTON -- Douglas W. Fulton, age 70, of Clinton, died Tuesday April 15, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospital in Iowa City. According to family wishes, cremation rites have been accorded. A privat
- Lois I. Ruggeberg Lois I. Ruggeberg Feb. 22, 1919 - April 15, 2014 DEWITT -- Lois I. (Mrs. Harold) Ruggeberg, 95, of DeWitt, Iowa, died Tuesday evening, April 15, 2014, at Eagle Point Health & Rehab Center, Clinton, Iowa. Mrs. Ruggeberg, the former Lois Irene Allison,
- Charlotte Howard Clinton Charlotte Howard Charlotte Howard, 63, of Clinton, died Wednesday at the Alverno. Arrangements are pending at Lemke Funeral Homes.
- Bev Durkop MAQUOKETA -- Bev Durkop, 70, of Maquoketa, died Sunday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. A celebration of her life will be held at 10 a.m. Friday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be he
- Marvin 'Bump' Kosin Jr. Marvin 'Bump' Kosin Jr. Oct. 29, 1950 - April 16, 2014 FULTON, Ill. -- Marvin "Bump" Kosin, Jr, 63, of Fulton, died Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, Iowa. Funeral services will be 10:00 a.m., Satur
- Jayne Ann Bowen MAQUOKETA -- Jayne Ann Bowen, 64, of Maquoketa, died Monday at home. A celebration of her life will be held at 10 a.m. Thursday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. today at the funeral home.
- Helen J. Erps Helen J. Erps Sept. 7, 1928 - April 14, 2014 CAMANCHE -- Helen J. Erps, 85, of Camanche, passed away, Monday, April 14, 2014 at the Alverno. Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m. Saturday, April 19, 2014 at the Immanuel Lutheran Church - Camanche. Buri
- Gilbert L. 'Steve' Stephenson DEWITT -- Gilbert L. "Steve" Stephenson, 81, of DeWitt, died Monday at Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House in Bettendorf. A visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt. A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Sat
- Lois Ruggeberg DeWitt Lois Ruggeberg Lois Ruggeberg, 95, of DeWitt, died Tuesday at Eagle Point Nursing and Rehab Center in Clinton. Arrangements are pending at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt.
- Annalisa Lillian Green LAKE CARROLL, Ill. -- Annalisa Lillian Green, 93, of Lake Carroll, formerly of Chicago, died Thursday. Cremation rites have been accorded. A memorial service will be held from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, May 10, at the Medinah, Ill., Country Club. De
- More Obituaries Headlines