Dec. 22, 1915 - Nov. 29, 2012
Florence G. House, 96, of Maquoketa, Iowa, died on Thursday morning, November 29, 2012, at Clover Ridge Place in Maquoketa, Iowa.
A celebration of Florence’s life will be held at 10:30 a.m. Monday, December 3, 2012, from the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa, Iowa. Visitation will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. on Sunday, December 2, 2012, from the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Burial will be at the Mount Hope Cemetery, Maquoketa.
Florence Gertrude Wall was born on December 22, 1915, in Sabula, Iowa, to Frank Martin and Aldie Mae (Hill) Wall. She was a graduate of Sabula High School and then received her Bachelor of Arts degree from Marycrest College in Davenport, Iowa. She married Gerald A. House on May 9, 1936, in Clinton, Iowa. He preceded her in death on January 28, 1981.
Florence was a teacher for over 35 years. She had taught in Jackson County country schools until being hired by the Maquoketa Community School District where she first taught in Baldwin and later at Briggs Elementary School.
Florence was a member of the First United Methodist Church, Retired Teachers of Jackson County, South Fork Homemakers, Jackson County Hospital Ladies Auxiliary and the Jackson County Senior Volunteers.
Florence enjoyed quilting, gardening, crocheting, knitting, dancing and playing cards, especially euchre.
Those left to honor her memory include her children, James (Mary) House of Miles, IA, Janet Burnett of Streator, IL, Jerry (Linda) House of Delmar, IA and Jane (Don) McBride of Bernard, IA; 14 grandchildren, 24 great-grandchildren, 3 great-great-grandchildren; sisters, Helen Soenksen of DeWitt, IA, and Bernetta (Robert) Haines of Clinton, IA; and a son-in-law, Brian Curley of Beloit, WI.
She was preceded in death by her parents; her husband, Gerald; a brother, Glen Wall; a sister, Berdetta Mommsen; a son-in-law, Richard Burnett; a great-grandchild, Hannah Goodrich; and her daughter, Jean Curley, on May 17, 2012.
In lieu of other expressions of sympathy, a Florence G. House memorial fund has been established.
“The family wishes to give special thanks to Hospice of Jackson County and the staff at Clover Ridge Place in Maquoketa.”
Online condolences may be left at www.CarsonAndSon.com.
Death date: Nov. 29, 2012
Dec. 22, 1915 - Nov. 29, 2012
- Elizabeth Grossman Clinton Elizabeth Grossman Elizabeth Grossman, 74, of Clinton died today at the University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics in Iowa City. Funeral arrangements are pending with Lemke Funeral Homes.
- Kenneth E. Dauen Kenneth E. Dauen Aug. 27, 1958 - Dec. 8, 2013 WARREN, Ill. -- Kenneth E. Dauen, 55, of Warren, IL, formerly of Albany, IL, died Sunday, December 8, 2013, at the Mercy Medical Center North, Clinton, IA. Kenneth was born August 27, 1958, in Morrison, I
- Marjorie M. Dierks Marjorie M. Dierks Nov. 13, 1924 - Dec. 8, 2013 CLINTON -- Marjorie M. Dierks, 89, of Clinton, IA, passed away Sunday, December 8, 2013 at Mercy Medical Center. Services will be at 10:00 a.m. Friday, December 13th at the Pape Funeral Home. Visitation
- Ben Ray Ben Ray Sept. 18, 1931 - Dec. 6, 2013 FULTON, Ill. -- The soul of Ben Ray left this earth on December 6, 2013. Ben Ray was born in Murray, Kentucky, on September 18, 1931. He was raised by his grandparents Mary and Henry Houston Ray who enabled Ben t
- Louis K. Ronnfeldt Louis K. Ronnfeldt Sept. 11, 1940 - Dec. 7, 2013 CAMANCHE -- Louis K. Ronnfeldt, age 73, of Camanche, passed away Saturday, December 7, 2013 at his home. In following his wishes, cremation rites have been accorded. A gathering of family and friends w
- Robert E. Petersen October 29, 1929 - December 5, 2013 CLINTON -- Robert E. Petersen, 84, of Clinton, passed away on Thursday, December 5, 2013 at Mercy Medical Center North Campus - Clinton. Private Family Services will be held. Burial will be in the Clinton Lawn Ceme
- Cheryl Seymour January 24, 1951 - December 5, 2013 CLINTON -- Cheryl "Sheri" Mary Seymour, 62, of Clinton, passed away December 5, 2013 at her home surrounded by her family after brief battle with cancer. Funeral Services will be 10:30 am, Monday, December 9, 2013
- Lawrence 'Larry' E. Green THOMSON, Ill. -- Lawrence "Larry" E. Green, 91, of Thomson and formerly of Savanna, Ill., died Friday at Big Meadows Nursing Home in Savanna. A funeral service will be held at noon Wednesday at Law-Jones Funeral Home in Savanna. Burial will take pla
- Raymond C. Huseby DeWitt Raymond C. Huseby Raymond C. Huseby, 82, of DeWitt, died Sunday afternoon, December 1, 2013, in his home. A service will be held at a later date and will be announced by Schultz Funeral Home, DeWitt. Raymond C. Huseby
- Charles W. Burke February 5, 1934 - December 5, 2013 DEWITT -- Mr. Charles W. Burke, 79, of DeWitt, Iowa, died Thursday evening, December 5, 2013, at Trinity Medical Center, Rock Island, Illinois. Charles William Burke was born February 5, 1934, in Clinton, Iowa, to
- More Obituaries Headlines