Dec. 22, 1915 - Nov. 29, 2012
Florence G. House, 96, of Maquoketa, Iowa, died on Thursday morning, November 29, 2012, at Clover Ridge Place in Maquoketa, Iowa.
A celebration of Florence’s life will be held at 10:30 a.m. Monday, December 3, 2012, from the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa, Iowa. Visitation will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. on Sunday, December 2, 2012, from the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Burial will be at the Mount Hope Cemetery, Maquoketa.
Florence Gertrude Wall was born on December 22, 1915, in Sabula, Iowa, to Frank Martin and Aldie Mae (Hill) Wall. She was a graduate of Sabula High School and then received her Bachelor of Arts degree from Marycrest College in Davenport, Iowa. She married Gerald A. House on May 9, 1936, in Clinton, Iowa. He preceded her in death on January 28, 1981.
Florence was a teacher for over 35 years. She had taught in Jackson County country schools until being hired by the Maquoketa Community School District where she first taught in Baldwin and later at Briggs Elementary School.
Florence was a member of the First United Methodist Church, Retired Teachers of Jackson County, South Fork Homemakers, Jackson County Hospital Ladies Auxiliary and the Jackson County Senior Volunteers.
Florence enjoyed quilting, gardening, crocheting, knitting, dancing and playing cards, especially euchre.
Those left to honor her memory include her children, James (Mary) House of Miles, IA, Janet Burnett of Streator, IL, Jerry (Linda) House of Delmar, IA and Jane (Don) McBride of Bernard, IA; 14 grandchildren, 24 great-grandchildren, 3 great-great-grandchildren; sisters, Helen Soenksen of DeWitt, IA, and Bernetta (Robert) Haines of Clinton, IA; and a son-in-law, Brian Curley of Beloit, WI.
She was preceded in death by her parents; her husband, Gerald; a brother, Glen Wall; a sister, Berdetta Mommsen; a son-in-law, Richard Burnett; a great-grandchild, Hannah Goodrich; and her daughter, Jean Curley, on May 17, 2012.
In lieu of other expressions of sympathy, a Florence G. House memorial fund has been established.
“The family wishes to give special thanks to Hospice of Jackson County and the staff at Clover Ridge Place in Maquoketa.”
Online condolences may be left at www.CarsonAndSon.com.
Death date: Nov. 29, 2012
Dec. 22, 1915 - Nov. 29, 2012
- Joseph Barlow ClintonJoseph BarlowJoseph Barlow, 46, of Clinton, died Sunday in Mount Pleasant. Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Olive Eloise Speer HANOVER, Ill. — Olive Eloise Speer, 104, of Hanover, died Thursday at home.A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at the Hanover United Presbyterian Church. Burial will be in the Evergreen Cemetery in Hanover. A visitation will be held
- Linda J. Pro Linda J. ProSep. 19, 1943 - July 23, 2014WEST HARTFORD, Conn. – Linda J. Pro, 70, of West Hartford, Connecticut, formerly of Clinton, passed away Wednesday, July 23, 2014 at the Hartford Hospital.Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m., Thursday, July 31
- Joseph F. Clancy Joseph F. ClancyFeb. 23, 1968 - July 27, 2014CEDAR RAPIDS — Joseph F. Clancy, age 46, of Cedar Rapids, IA, formerly of Clinton, died Sunday, July 27, 2014 at his mother’s home in Clinton, surrounded by his family. A gathering of friends and family wi
- Robert Hammer CLINTON — Robert Hammer, 84, of Clinton, died Sunday at home.Funeral services will be held at noon Saturday at St. John Lutheran Church. Visitation will be from 10 a.m. until the funeral time Saturday at the church. A complete obituary will appear i
- Sharon Darlene Hayes CALAMUS — Sharon Darlene Hayes, 69, of Calamus, died Saturday at Wheatland Manor.The family will greet visitors from 9 to 10:15 a.m. Tuesday at Faith Lutheran Church in Calamus. A memorial service will follow at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday at the church. The
- Joseph F. Clancy Cedar RapidsJoseph F. ClancyJoseph F. Clancy, 46, of Cedar Rapids and formerly of Clinton, died Sunday at his mother’s home in Clinton. Arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home in Clinton.
- Robert Hammer ClintonRobert HammerRobert Hammer, 84, of Clinton died Sunday, July 27, 2014 at his home. Arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home.
- Wilma C. Kimball Wilma C. KimballNov. 4, 1917 - July 26, 2014CAMANCHE — Wilma C. Kimball, age 96, of Camanche, passed away Saturday, July 26, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center North. There will be no visitation. Graveside services will be held at 6:00 p.m. on Tuesday, Jul
- Linda J. Pro ClintonLinda J. ProLinda J. Pro, 70, of West Hartford, Connecticut, formerly of Clinton, died Wednesday at the Hartford Hospital – Hartford, Connecticut. Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes & Crematory.
- More Obituaries Headlines