Dec. 22, 1915 - Nov. 29, 2012
Florence G. House, 96, of Maquoketa, Iowa, died on Thursday morning, November 29, 2012, at Clover Ridge Place in Maquoketa, Iowa.
A celebration of Florence’s life will be held at 10:30 a.m. Monday, December 3, 2012, from the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa, Iowa. Visitation will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. on Sunday, December 2, 2012, from the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Burial will be at the Mount Hope Cemetery, Maquoketa.
Florence Gertrude Wall was born on December 22, 1915, in Sabula, Iowa, to Frank Martin and Aldie Mae (Hill) Wall. She was a graduate of Sabula High School and then received her Bachelor of Arts degree from Marycrest College in Davenport, Iowa. She married Gerald A. House on May 9, 1936, in Clinton, Iowa. He preceded her in death on January 28, 1981.
Florence was a teacher for over 35 years. She had taught in Jackson County country schools until being hired by the Maquoketa Community School District where she first taught in Baldwin and later at Briggs Elementary School.
Florence was a member of the First United Methodist Church, Retired Teachers of Jackson County, South Fork Homemakers, Jackson County Hospital Ladies Auxiliary and the Jackson County Senior Volunteers.
Florence enjoyed quilting, gardening, crocheting, knitting, dancing and playing cards, especially euchre.
Those left to honor her memory include her children, James (Mary) House of Miles, IA, Janet Burnett of Streator, IL, Jerry (Linda) House of Delmar, IA and Jane (Don) McBride of Bernard, IA; 14 grandchildren, 24 great-grandchildren, 3 great-great-grandchildren; sisters, Helen Soenksen of DeWitt, IA, and Bernetta (Robert) Haines of Clinton, IA; and a son-in-law, Brian Curley of Beloit, WI.
She was preceded in death by her parents; her husband, Gerald; a brother, Glen Wall; a sister, Berdetta Mommsen; a son-in-law, Richard Burnett; a great-grandchild, Hannah Goodrich; and her daughter, Jean Curley, on May 17, 2012.
In lieu of other expressions of sympathy, a Florence G. House memorial fund has been established.
“The family wishes to give special thanks to Hospice of Jackson County and the staff at Clover Ridge Place in Maquoketa.”
Online condolences may be left at www.CarsonAndSon.com.
Death date: Nov. 29, 2012
Dec. 22, 1915 - Nov. 29, 2012
- James Robert Paglin ELIZABETH, Ill. -- James Robert Paglin, 75, of Elizabeth, died Monday at home. A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at St. Paul Lutheran Church in Elizabeth with the Rev. Harvey Nicholson officiating. Burial will be in Woodbine, Ill
- Nancy L. Weed Nancy L. Weed March 5, 1945 - April 21, 2014 CLINTON -- Nancy L. Weed, age 69, of Clinton, died Monday, April 21, 2014 at her home. According to her wishes, cremation rites have been accorded. Memorial services will be held at 5:00 p.m. Thursday, Ap
- Vinson Carpenter Clinton Vinson Carpenter Vinson Carpenter, 83, of Clinton, died Monday at home. Arrangements are pending at Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Jane B. Meyer CLINTON -- Jane B. Meyer, 84, of Clinton, died Sunday at Mercy Living Center South. A gathering will be held from 1 to 2 p.m. Saturday at First Congregational Church. A memorial service will begin at 2 p.m. A complete obituary will appear in Thursda
- Janice 'Jan' Brondyke CLINTON -- Janice "Jan" Brondyke, 68, of Clinton, died March 28 in Kingwood, Texas. She will be cremated and her ashes spread on Galveston Beach, Texas. She is survived by her brother, Jim. Death date: March 28, 2014 Janice 'Jan' Brondyke
- Jane B. Meyer Clinton Jane B. Meyer Jane B. Meyer, 84, of Clinton, died Sunday at Mercy Living Center South. Arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home.
- Kenneth R. Buck MADISON, Wis. -- Kenneth R. Buck, 76, of Madison, and formerly of Mount Carroll, Ill., died Wednesday at home. A funeral service will be held at noon Saturday at Frank-Law-Jones Funeral Home in Mount Carroll. A visitation will be held from 10 a.m. to
- Eunice J. Leibert Eunice J. Leibert Dec. 4, 1931 - April 21, 2014 CLINTON -- Eunice J. Leibert, age 82, of Clinton, died Monday April 21st at Trinity Regional Health System in Bettendorf. Funeral services will be held 11:00 a.m. Thursday at the Pape Funeral Home. Visi
- Nancy L. Weed Clinton Nancy L. Weed Nancy L. Weed, 69, of Clinton, died Monday at home. Arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home in Clinton.
- Henrietta 'Etta' Jane Wiebenga Henrietta "Etta" Jane Wiebenga Jan. 19, 1924 - April 20, 2014 CLINTON -- Henrietta "Etta" Jane Wiebenga, 90, of Prairie Hills Senior Living Center in Clinton, IA; formerly of Fulton, IL, died Sunday, April 20, 2014, at Mercy Living Center South, Clin
- More Obituaries Headlines