Dec. 22, 1915 - Nov. 29, 2012
Florence G. House, 96, of Maquoketa, Iowa, died on Thursday morning, November 29, 2012, at Clover Ridge Place in Maquoketa, Iowa.
A celebration of Florence’s life will be held at 10:30 a.m. Monday, December 3, 2012, from the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa, Iowa. Visitation will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. on Sunday, December 2, 2012, from the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Burial will be at the Mount Hope Cemetery, Maquoketa.
Florence Gertrude Wall was born on December 22, 1915, in Sabula, Iowa, to Frank Martin and Aldie Mae (Hill) Wall. She was a graduate of Sabula High School and then received her Bachelor of Arts degree from Marycrest College in Davenport, Iowa. She married Gerald A. House on May 9, 1936, in Clinton, Iowa. He preceded her in death on January 28, 1981.
Florence was a teacher for over 35 years. She had taught in Jackson County country schools until being hired by the Maquoketa Community School District where she first taught in Baldwin and later at Briggs Elementary School.
Florence was a member of the First United Methodist Church, Retired Teachers of Jackson County, South Fork Homemakers, Jackson County Hospital Ladies Auxiliary and the Jackson County Senior Volunteers.
Florence enjoyed quilting, gardening, crocheting, knitting, dancing and playing cards, especially euchre.
Those left to honor her memory include her children, James (Mary) House of Miles, IA, Janet Burnett of Streator, IL, Jerry (Linda) House of Delmar, IA and Jane (Don) McBride of Bernard, IA; 14 grandchildren, 24 great-grandchildren, 3 great-great-grandchildren; sisters, Helen Soenksen of DeWitt, IA, and Bernetta (Robert) Haines of Clinton, IA; and a son-in-law, Brian Curley of Beloit, WI.
She was preceded in death by her parents; her husband, Gerald; a brother, Glen Wall; a sister, Berdetta Mommsen; a son-in-law, Richard Burnett; a great-grandchild, Hannah Goodrich; and her daughter, Jean Curley, on May 17, 2012.
In lieu of other expressions of sympathy, a Florence G. House memorial fund has been established.
“The family wishes to give special thanks to Hospice of Jackson County and the staff at Clover Ridge Place in Maquoketa.”
Online condolences may be left at www.CarsonAndSon.com.
Death date: Nov. 29, 2012
Dec. 22, 1915 - Nov. 29, 2012
- Harry Thies DUBUQUE — Harry Thies, 90, of Dubuque, formerly of Lowden and Maquoketa, died Monday at Manor Care in Dubuque.Graveside services and burial will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday at Mt. Hope Cemetery in Maquoketa. The family will greet family and friends f
- Nellie Pruis-Douma Jan. 20, 1917 – July 21, 2014MORRISON, Ill. — Nellie Pruis-Douma, 97, of Resthave Home – Morrison, died Monday, July 21, 2014, at Morrison Community Hospital - Morrison.The funeral will be 10:30 a.m. Saturday, July 26, 2014 at Emmanuel Reformed Churc
- Martin Allen Stansbarger CLINTON — Infant Martin Allen Stansbarger passed away at birth on July 19, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center North Campus surrounded by angels and into the loving arms of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Martin’s parents, Jim and Natasha Stansbarger, wil
- Nellie Douma Morrison, Ill.Nellie DoumaNellie Douma, 97, of Morrison, died Jan. 21 at Morrison Community Hospital.Arrangements are pending at the Morrison chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home.
- Brentley Louis Kemp MAQUOKETA — Brentley Louis Kemp, infant son of Justin and Michelle (Pierson) Kemp, of Maquoketa, died July 10.Private services will be held. Death date: July 10, 2014
- Brenda Aiken DEWITT — Brenda (Henning) Aiken, 68, of DeWitt, died Friday at home.Visitation will be from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday, Aug. 1, at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt. A funeral service will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 2, at Faith Lutheran Church in Calamus.
- Bernice Viola Sander Bernice Viola SanderOct. 17, 1913 - July 17, 2014CLINTON — Bernice Viola Sander, 100, of Clinton, died Thursday, July 17, 2014 at home after 100 great years and will be missed by all her family.Memorial services will be 11:00 a.m., Friday, July 25, 2
- Martin Allen Stansbarger ClintonMartin Allen StansbargerMartin Allen Stansbarger died Saturday at birth at Mercy Medical Center North.Arrangements are pending at Lemke Funeral Homes.
- John W. Bousman John W. BousmanOct. 20, 1937 - July 18, 2014CLINTON — John W. Bousman Sr., age 76, of Clinton, died Friday, July 18, 2014, at the University of Iowa Hospital in Iowa City, surrounded by his family. They released him from all medical intervention and
- Lola Alice Lange FULTON, Ill. — Lola Alice Lange, 98, of Morrison, Illinois, died Saturday at Resthave Home in Morrison.Funeral services will be at 10 a.m. Thursday at the Fulton Chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home, with the Rev. James Camp officiating. Visitatio
- More Obituaries Headlines