Dec. 22, 1915 - Nov. 29, 2012
Florence G. House, 96, of Maquoketa, Iowa, died on Thursday morning, November 29, 2012, at Clover Ridge Place in Maquoketa, Iowa.
A celebration of Florence’s life will be held at 10:30 a.m. Monday, December 3, 2012, from the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa, Iowa. Visitation will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. on Sunday, December 2, 2012, from the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Burial will be at the Mount Hope Cemetery, Maquoketa.
Florence Gertrude Wall was born on December 22, 1915, in Sabula, Iowa, to Frank Martin and Aldie Mae (Hill) Wall. She was a graduate of Sabula High School and then received her Bachelor of Arts degree from Marycrest College in Davenport, Iowa. She married Gerald A. House on May 9, 1936, in Clinton, Iowa. He preceded her in death on January 28, 1981.
Florence was a teacher for over 35 years. She had taught in Jackson County country schools until being hired by the Maquoketa Community School District where she first taught in Baldwin and later at Briggs Elementary School.
Florence was a member of the First United Methodist Church, Retired Teachers of Jackson County, South Fork Homemakers, Jackson County Hospital Ladies Auxiliary and the Jackson County Senior Volunteers.
Florence enjoyed quilting, gardening, crocheting, knitting, dancing and playing cards, especially euchre.
Those left to honor her memory include her children, James (Mary) House of Miles, IA, Janet Burnett of Streator, IL, Jerry (Linda) House of Delmar, IA and Jane (Don) McBride of Bernard, IA; 14 grandchildren, 24 great-grandchildren, 3 great-great-grandchildren; sisters, Helen Soenksen of DeWitt, IA, and Bernetta (Robert) Haines of Clinton, IA; and a son-in-law, Brian Curley of Beloit, WI.
She was preceded in death by her parents; her husband, Gerald; a brother, Glen Wall; a sister, Berdetta Mommsen; a son-in-law, Richard Burnett; a great-grandchild, Hannah Goodrich; and her daughter, Jean Curley, on May 17, 2012.
In lieu of other expressions of sympathy, a Florence G. House memorial fund has been established.
“The family wishes to give special thanks to Hospice of Jackson County and the staff at Clover Ridge Place in Maquoketa.”
Online condolences may be left at www.CarsonAndSon.com.
Death date: Nov. 29, 2012
Dec. 22, 1915 - Nov. 29, 2012
- Joyce E. Andersen Joyce E. Andersen Oct. 1, 1934 - March 8, 2014 CLINTON — Joyce E. Andersen, age 79, of Clinton, passed away Saturday March 8, 2014 at her home. Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m. Thursday, March 13t,h at the Church of the Open Door, Clinton. Visita
- Wilma J. Owen DeWitt Wilma J. Owen Wilma J. Owen, 74, of DeWitt, died Friday at Genesis Medical Center East in Davenport. Arrangements are pending at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt.
- Lavonne 'Tooty' Miller Lavonne 'Tooty' Miller June 7, 1932 - March 7, 2014 BELLEVUE -- Lavonne "Tooty" Miller, 81, of Bellevue, Iowa, passed away Friday evening, March 7, 2014 at her home in Bellevue. A Celebration of Life Service will be held at 11:00 a.m., Tuesday morni
- Theresa M. Blake-Johnson Andrew Theresa M. Blake-Johnson Theresa M. Blake-Johnson, 34, of Andrew, died Saturday at home. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Ernestine W. Finnegan July 21, 1931 - March 6, 2014 CAMANCHE -- Ernestine W. Finnegan, 82, a resident of Camanche, IA, formerly of Princeton, died Thursday, March 6, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center in Clinton. Funeral services celebrating her life will be held at 12 Noon on
- Wilma J. Owen DEWITT -- Wilma J. Owen, 74, of DeWitt, died Friday at Genesis Medical Center East in Davenport. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. Tuesday at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt. A service of Christian burial will be held at 2 p.m. Wednesday at Gra
- Jerry Marquez Jr. SAVANNA, Ill. -- Jerry Marquez Jr., 77, died last Wednesday in Savanna. Burial will be at 1:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Rock Island National Cemetery in Rock Island, Ill. Visitation will be held from 4 to 6 p.m. Tuesday at Law-Jones Funeral Home in Sava
- Lana R. Woodard Sept. 3, 1947 - March 6, 2014 BIG ROCK, Ill. -- Lana R. Woodard, age 66, of Big Rock, passed away on Thursday, March 6, 2014 at her home. Funeral services will be held on Monday, March 10, 2014 at 10:30 a.m. at Chapman Funeral Home in Wheatland with
- Shirley Andresen Clinton Shirley Andresen Shirley Andresen, 76, of Clinton, died Friday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. Arrangements are pending at Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Francis E. 'Jay' Keiller Jan. 12, 1948 - March 5, 2014 CLINTON -- Francis E. "Jay" Keiller, 66, of Clinton, passed away, Wednesday, March 5, 2014, surrounded by his loving family at Select Specialty Hospital, Davenport, Iowa. Funeral services will be 2:00 p.m., Sunday, Marc
- More Obituaries Headlines