THOMSON, Ill. —
Oct. 25, 1938 - Feb. 20, 2013
Velma Mae Brantner, age 74, of “Riverview” Thomson, Illinois, died on Wednesday, February 20, 2013, at Mercy Medical Center North, Clinton, Iowa.
A funeral service will be held at 2 p.m. Sunday, February 24, 2013, at Law-Jones Funeral Home, Thomson, with Pastor Steve Newell officiating. Burial will take place in Oak Hill Cemetery, Mount Carroll, Illinois. A visitation will be held from noon to 2 p.m. prior to the service at the funeral home. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be given to the York Baptist Church, Thomson, in Velma’s memory. Online condolences may be left for the family at www.lawjonesfuneralhome.com.
Velma was born on October 25, 1938, the daughter of Archie and Gertrude (Wacker) Schaefer in Preston, Iowa. She attended Savanna High School and graduated with the class of 1956. Velma married John M. McCombie on September 25, 1957, in Savanna, Illinois. John died on May 5, 1984. Velma was later married to Hebert “Hub” H. Brantner on July 29, 1990.
Velma was a homemaker who cherished taking care of her family. She later went to work for General Electric in Morrison for a few years. Velma and her husband owned and operated the Irish Inn in Savanna until selling their bar to the future home of “Manny’s.” Velma returned to General Electric and continued to work there until her retirement. After retiring, Velma worked seasonally at Swiss Colony in Savanna. Velma was a longtime member of the York Baptist Church, Thomson, where she was active in the several church circles. Velma enjoyed spending time with her family and friends. She especially treasured watching her grandchildren fish and play softball.
Velma will be dearly missed by six children: Terry (Marion) McCombie of Tucson, Arizona, Tim (Jen) McCombie of Mount Carroll, Illinois, Johnna (Tom) Richardson of Thomson, Jerry “Grub” (Jamie) McCombie of Savanna, Pete (Kim) Brantner of Lennox, Iowa, and Betsy (Dave) Brantner-Smith of Oswego, Illinois; twenty-two grandchildren, Jessica, Vanessa, Ryan, Daniyal, John Thomas, Denise, Dana, Morgan, John Mack, Josie, Justin, Jake, Samantha, Kelden, Ian, Ryker, Michael, Alexa, Tristen, Blake, Britt and Lindsay; eighteen great-grandchildren; two brothers, Archie “Gene” Schaefer of Morrison and Bob (Nancy) Schaefer of Florida one sister, Bernita (Gary) Savage of Savanna.
Velma was preceded in death by her parents and first husband, John McCombie.
Death date: Feb. 20, 2013
THOMSON, Ill. —
Oct. 25, 1938 - Feb. 20, 2013
- Jayne Ann Bowen MAQUOKETA -- Jayne Ann Bowen, 64, of Maquoketa, died Monday at home. A celebration of her life will be held at 10 a.m. Thursday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. today at the funeral home.
- Helen J. Erps Helen J. Erps Sept. 7, 1928 - April 14, 2014 CAMANCHE -- Helen J. Erps, 85, of Camanche, passed away, Monday, April 14, 2014 at the Alverno. Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m. Saturday, April 19, 2014 at the Immanuel Lutheran Church - Camanche. Buri
- Gilbert L. 'Steve' Stephenson DEWITT -- Gilbert L. "Steve" Stephenson, 81, of DeWitt, died Monday at Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House in Bettendorf. A visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt. A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Sat
- Lois Ruggeberg DeWitt Lois Ruggeberg Lois Ruggeberg, 95, of DeWitt, died Tuesday at Eagle Point Nursing and Rehab Center in Clinton. Arrangements are pending at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt.
- Annalisa Lillian Green LAKE CARROLL, Ill. -- Annalisa Lillian Green, 93, of Lake Carroll, formerly of Chicago, died Thursday. Cremation rites have been accorded. A memorial service will be held from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, May 10, at the Medinah, Ill., Country Club. De
- Helen J. Erps Camanche Helen J. Erps Helen J. Erps, 85, of Camanche, died Monday at the Alverno. Arrangements are pending at the Camanche Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Richard G. Gifford Richard G. Gifford Oct. 17, 1931 - April 12, 2014 CLINTON -- Richard G. Gifford, 82, of Clinton, passed away, Saturday, April 12, 2014 at his home in Clinton. There will no services or visitation per his wishes the body has been cremated. The Clinton
- Gilbert L. Stephenson DeWitt Gilbert L. Stephenson Gilbert L. Stephenson, 81, of DeWitt, died Monday at Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House in Bettendorf. Arrangements are pending at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt. Gilbert L. Stephenson
- Furman C. Doty Furman C. Doty May 23, 1939 - April 12, 2014 CLINTON -- Furman C. Doty, 74, of Clinton, Iowa, died Saturday, April 12, 2014 at the University of Iowa. Memorial services will be held at 10:30 a.m. Thursday, April 17, 2014 at the Clinton Church of Chri
- Beverly Durkop Maquoketa Beverly Durkop Beverly Durkop, 70, of Maquoketa, died Sunday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. Arrangements are pending at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- More Obituaries Headlines