THOMSON, Ill. —
Oct. 25, 1938 - Feb. 20, 2013
Velma Mae Brantner, age 74, of “Riverview” Thomson, Illinois, died on Wednesday, February 20, 2013, at Mercy Medical Center North, Clinton, Iowa.
A funeral service will be held at 2 p.m. Sunday, February 24, 2013, at Law-Jones Funeral Home, Thomson, with Pastor Steve Newell officiating. Burial will take place in Oak Hill Cemetery, Mount Carroll, Illinois. A visitation will be held from noon to 2 p.m. prior to the service at the funeral home. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be given to the York Baptist Church, Thomson, in Velma’s memory. Online condolences may be left for the family at www.lawjonesfuneralhome.com.
Velma was born on October 25, 1938, the daughter of Archie and Gertrude (Wacker) Schaefer in Preston, Iowa. She attended Savanna High School and graduated with the class of 1956. Velma married John M. McCombie on September 25, 1957, in Savanna, Illinois. John died on May 5, 1984. Velma was later married to Hebert “Hub” H. Brantner on July 29, 1990.
Velma was a homemaker who cherished taking care of her family. She later went to work for General Electric in Morrison for a few years. Velma and her husband owned and operated the Irish Inn in Savanna until selling their bar to the future home of “Manny’s.” Velma returned to General Electric and continued to work there until her retirement. After retiring, Velma worked seasonally at Swiss Colony in Savanna. Velma was a longtime member of the York Baptist Church, Thomson, where she was active in the several church circles. Velma enjoyed spending time with her family and friends. She especially treasured watching her grandchildren fish and play softball.
Velma will be dearly missed by six children: Terry (Marion) McCombie of Tucson, Arizona, Tim (Jen) McCombie of Mount Carroll, Illinois, Johnna (Tom) Richardson of Thomson, Jerry “Grub” (Jamie) McCombie of Savanna, Pete (Kim) Brantner of Lennox, Iowa, and Betsy (Dave) Brantner-Smith of Oswego, Illinois; twenty-two grandchildren, Jessica, Vanessa, Ryan, Daniyal, John Thomas, Denise, Dana, Morgan, John Mack, Josie, Justin, Jake, Samantha, Kelden, Ian, Ryker, Michael, Alexa, Tristen, Blake, Britt and Lindsay; eighteen great-grandchildren; two brothers, Archie “Gene” Schaefer of Morrison and Bob (Nancy) Schaefer of Florida one sister, Bernita (Gary) Savage of Savanna.
Velma was preceded in death by her parents and first husband, John McCombie.
Death date: Feb. 20, 2013
THOMSON, Ill. —
Oct. 25, 1938 - Feb. 20, 2013
- Richard N. Varner CLINTON -- Richard N. Varner, 84, of Clinton, died Sunday at Mercy Medical Center South. Funeral services will be at 2 p.m. Thursday at Lemke Funeral Homes South chapel. Visitation will begin one hour before the service time at 1 p.m. at the funeral
- Camilla P. Siders Maquoketa Camilla P. Siders Camilla P. Siders, 95, of Maquoketa, died Sunday at the Maquoketa Care Center. Arrangements are pending at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- Roberta Ann Tichler Roberta Ann Tichler July 24, 1937 - March 9, 2014 FULTON, Ill. -- Roberta Ann Tichler, 76, of Fulton, died Sunday, March 9, 2014 at CGH Medical Center in Sterling, IL after her courageous battle with cancer; surrounded by her loving family. Funeral s
- James C. Thyne Clinton James C. Thyne James C. Thyne, 62, of Clinton, died Monday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. Arrangements are pending at Pape Funeral Home.
- Pamela J. Harlock Pamela J. Harlock Aug. 16, 1951 - March 6, 2014 CLINTON -- Pamela J. Harlock, age 63, of Clinton, IA, died Thursday, March 6, 2014 at her home in San Antonio, TX. Funeral services will be held Friday at 10:30 a.m. March 14th at the Pape Funeral Home
- Gary M. Ferris FULTON, Ill. -- Gary M. Ferris, 67, of Fulton, died Sunday at Mercy Medical Center in Clinton. There will be no visitation or funeral services. Cremation rites have been accorded. Death date: March 9, 2014 Gary M. Ferris
- Theresa Marie Blake-Johnson ANDREW -- Theresa Marie Blake-Johnson, 34, of Andrew, died Saturday at her home, from injuries sustained in a house fire. A celebration of her life will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation
- Catherine Petras Camanche Catherine Petras Catherine Petras, 62, of Camanche, died Monday at home. Arrangements are pending at Lemke Funeral Homes.
- Joyce E. Andersen Joyce E. Andersen Oct. 1, 1934 - March 8, 2014 CLINTON — Joyce E. Andersen, age 79, of Clinton, passed away Saturday March 8, 2014 at her home. Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m. Thursday, March 13t,h at the Church of the Open Door, Clinton. Visita
- Wilma J. Owen DeWitt Wilma J. Owen Wilma J. Owen, 74, of DeWitt, died Friday at Genesis Medical Center East in Davenport. Arrangements are pending at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt.
- More Obituaries Headlines