THOMSON, Ill. —
Oct. 25, 1938 - Feb. 20, 2013
Velma Mae Brantner, age 74, of “Riverview” Thomson, Illinois, died on Wednesday, February 20, 2013, at Mercy Medical Center North, Clinton, Iowa.
A funeral service will be held at 2 p.m. Sunday, February 24, 2013, at Law-Jones Funeral Home, Thomson, with Pastor Steve Newell officiating. Burial will take place in Oak Hill Cemetery, Mount Carroll, Illinois. A visitation will be held from noon to 2 p.m. prior to the service at the funeral home. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be given to the York Baptist Church, Thomson, in Velma’s memory. Online condolences may be left for the family at www.lawjonesfuneralhome.com.
Velma was born on October 25, 1938, the daughter of Archie and Gertrude (Wacker) Schaefer in Preston, Iowa. She attended Savanna High School and graduated with the class of 1956. Velma married John M. McCombie on September 25, 1957, in Savanna, Illinois. John died on May 5, 1984. Velma was later married to Hebert “Hub” H. Brantner on July 29, 1990.
Velma was a homemaker who cherished taking care of her family. She later went to work for General Electric in Morrison for a few years. Velma and her husband owned and operated the Irish Inn in Savanna until selling their bar to the future home of “Manny’s.” Velma returned to General Electric and continued to work there until her retirement. After retiring, Velma worked seasonally at Swiss Colony in Savanna. Velma was a longtime member of the York Baptist Church, Thomson, where she was active in the several church circles. Velma enjoyed spending time with her family and friends. She especially treasured watching her grandchildren fish and play softball.
Velma will be dearly missed by six children: Terry (Marion) McCombie of Tucson, Arizona, Tim (Jen) McCombie of Mount Carroll, Illinois, Johnna (Tom) Richardson of Thomson, Jerry “Grub” (Jamie) McCombie of Savanna, Pete (Kim) Brantner of Lennox, Iowa, and Betsy (Dave) Brantner-Smith of Oswego, Illinois; twenty-two grandchildren, Jessica, Vanessa, Ryan, Daniyal, John Thomas, Denise, Dana, Morgan, John Mack, Josie, Justin, Jake, Samantha, Kelden, Ian, Ryker, Michael, Alexa, Tristen, Blake, Britt and Lindsay; eighteen great-grandchildren; two brothers, Archie “Gene” Schaefer of Morrison and Bob (Nancy) Schaefer of Florida one sister, Bernita (Gary) Savage of Savanna.
Velma was preceded in death by her parents and first husband, John McCombie.
Death date: Feb. 20, 2013
THOMSON, Ill. —
Oct. 25, 1938 - Feb. 20, 2013
- Linda Kay Schnoor ClintonLinda Kay SchnoorLinda Kay Schnoor, 69, of Clinton, died Tuesday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City.Arrangements are pending at Lemke Funeral Home.
- Joseph E. Barlow Joseph E. BarlowSept. 2, 1967 - July 27, 2014CLINTON — Joseph E. Barlow, 46, of Clinton, died Sunday, July 27, 2014 in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa.Funeral services will be 11:00 a.m., Friday, August 1, 2014 at the Gateway Baptist Church. Burial will be in the
- Howard Paul Johnson Howard Paul JohnsonDec. 16, 1931 - July 28, 2014SAVANNA, Ill. — Howard Paul Johnson was a loving dad, grandpa, and husband. He died at the age of 82, on Monday, July 28, 2014 at Big Meadows Nursing Home surrounded by his loving family. A funeral serv
- Joseph Barlow CLINTON — Joseph Barlow, 46, of Clinton, died Sunday in Mount Pleasant.Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Friday at Gateway Baptist Church in Clinton. Visitation will be from 9 a.m. to the service time Friday at the church. A complete obituary will
- Robert Hammer Robert HammerJan. 31, 1930 - July 27, 2014CLINTON — Robert Hammer, age 84, of Clinton, passed away Sunday, July 27, 2014 at his home. Funeral services will be held at 12:00 noon on Saturday, August 2, 2014 at St. John Lutheran Church. Visitation will
- Joseph Barlow ClintonJoseph BarlowJoseph Barlow, 46, of Clinton, died Sunday in Mount Pleasant. Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Olive Eloise Speer HANOVER, Ill. — Olive Eloise Speer, 104, of Hanover, died Thursday at home.A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at the Hanover United Presbyterian Church. Burial will be in the Evergreen Cemetery in Hanover. A visitation will be held
- Linda J. Pro Linda J. ProSep. 19, 1943 - July 23, 2014WEST HARTFORD, Conn. – Linda J. Pro, 70, of West Hartford, Connecticut, formerly of Clinton, passed away Wednesday, July 23, 2014 at the Hartford Hospital.Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m., Thursday, July 31
- Joseph F. Clancy Joseph F. ClancyFeb. 23, 1968 - July 27, 2014CEDAR RAPIDS — Joseph F. Clancy, age 46, of Cedar Rapids, IA, formerly of Clinton, died Sunday, July 27, 2014 at his mother’s home in Clinton, surrounded by his family. A gathering of friends and family wi
- Robert Hammer CLINTON — Robert Hammer, 84, of Clinton, died Sunday at home.Funeral services will be held at noon Saturday at St. John Lutheran Church. Visitation will be from 10 a.m. until the funeral time Saturday at the church. A complete obituary will appear i
- More Obituaries Headlines