THOMSON, Ill. —
Oct. 25, 1938 - Feb. 20, 2013
Velma Mae Brantner, age 74, of “Riverview” Thomson, Illinois, died on Wednesday, February 20, 2013, at Mercy Medical Center North, Clinton, Iowa.
A funeral service will be held at 2 p.m. Sunday, February 24, 2013, at Law-Jones Funeral Home, Thomson, with Pastor Steve Newell officiating. Burial will take place in Oak Hill Cemetery, Mount Carroll, Illinois. A visitation will be held from noon to 2 p.m. prior to the service at the funeral home. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be given to the York Baptist Church, Thomson, in Velma’s memory. Online condolences may be left for the family at www.lawjonesfuneralhome.com.
Velma was born on October 25, 1938, the daughter of Archie and Gertrude (Wacker) Schaefer in Preston, Iowa. She attended Savanna High School and graduated with the class of 1956. Velma married John M. McCombie on September 25, 1957, in Savanna, Illinois. John died on May 5, 1984. Velma was later married to Hebert “Hub” H. Brantner on July 29, 1990.
Velma was a homemaker who cherished taking care of her family. She later went to work for General Electric in Morrison for a few years. Velma and her husband owned and operated the Irish Inn in Savanna until selling their bar to the future home of “Manny’s.” Velma returned to General Electric and continued to work there until her retirement. After retiring, Velma worked seasonally at Swiss Colony in Savanna. Velma was a longtime member of the York Baptist Church, Thomson, where she was active in the several church circles. Velma enjoyed spending time with her family and friends. She especially treasured watching her grandchildren fish and play softball.
Velma will be dearly missed by six children: Terry (Marion) McCombie of Tucson, Arizona, Tim (Jen) McCombie of Mount Carroll, Illinois, Johnna (Tom) Richardson of Thomson, Jerry “Grub” (Jamie) McCombie of Savanna, Pete (Kim) Brantner of Lennox, Iowa, and Betsy (Dave) Brantner-Smith of Oswego, Illinois; twenty-two grandchildren, Jessica, Vanessa, Ryan, Daniyal, John Thomas, Denise, Dana, Morgan, John Mack, Josie, Justin, Jake, Samantha, Kelden, Ian, Ryker, Michael, Alexa, Tristen, Blake, Britt and Lindsay; eighteen great-grandchildren; two brothers, Archie “Gene” Schaefer of Morrison and Bob (Nancy) Schaefer of Florida one sister, Bernita (Gary) Savage of Savanna.
Velma was preceded in death by her parents and first husband, John McCombie.
Death date: Feb. 20, 2013
THOMSON, Ill. —
Oct. 25, 1938 - Feb. 20, 2013
- Robert E. Petersen October 29, 1929 - December 5, 2013 CLINTON -- Robert E. Petersen, 84, of Clinton, passed away on Thursday, December 5, 2013 at Mercy Medical Center North Campus - Clinton. Private Family Services will be held. Burial will be in the Clinton Lawn Ceme
- Cheryl Seymour January 24, 1951 - December 5, 2013 CLINTON -- Cheryl "Sheri" Mary Seymour, 62, of Clinton, passed away December 5, 2013 at her home surrounded by her family after brief battle with cancer. Funeral Services will be 10:30 am, Monday, December 9, 2013
- Raymond C. Huseby DeWitt Raymond C. Huseby Raymond C. Huseby, 82, of DeWitt, died Sunday afternoon, December 1, 2013, in his home. A service will be held at a later date and will be announced by Schultz Funeral Home, DeWitt. Raymond C. Huseby
- Charles W. Burke February 5, 1934 - December 5, 2013 DEWITT -- Mr. Charles W. Burke, 79, of DeWitt, Iowa, died Thursday evening, December 5, 2013, at Trinity Medical Center, Rock Island, Illinois. Charles William Burke was born February 5, 1934, in Clinton, Iowa, to
- Dr. A. A. "Bud" Frommelt DEWITT -- Dr. A. A. "Bud" Frommelt, 85, of DeWitt, died Wednesday, December 4, 2013, at Mercy Hospital in Dubuque. Visitation will be at Schultz Funeral Home, DeWitt, from 1 to 5 p.m. Sunday, December 8, 2013 with a Knights of Columbus Rosary at 1 p
- Madonna M. Finch December 12, 1932-December 5, 2013 CLINTON -- Madonna "Donna" M. Finch, 80, of Clinton and formerly of Camanche, passed away, Thursday, December 5, 2013 at Mercy Living Center South. Visitation will be held from 10:30 AM to 11:30 AM Tuesday, December
- Lawrence "Larry" E. Green THOMSON, Ill. -- Lawrence "Larry" E. Green, 91, of Thomson and formerly of Savanna, Ill., died Friday, December 6, 2013 at Big Meadows Nursing Home, Savanna. A funeral service will be held noon, Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at Law-Jones Funeral Home
- Robert E. Anderson PROPHETSTOWN, Ill. -- Robert E. Anderson, 94, of Prophetstown, died Thursday, December 5, 2013, at CGH Medical Center, Sterling, Ill. The funeral will be at 11:00 a.m. Tuesday, December 10, 2013, at the Prophetstown United Methodist Church, preceded
- Donald Hamstra August 19, 1920- December 6, 2013 MORRISON, Ill. -- Donald Hamstra, 93, Resthave Nursing and Retirement Home, Morrison, died Friday, December 6, 2013 at Resthave Nursing and Retirement Home, Morrison. The funeral will be 2:00 P.M., Monday, December 9
- Leslie "Bud" Chandler August 29th, 1924 - December 5, 2013 CLINTON -- Leslie "Bud" Chandler, 89, of Clinton, Iowa passed away peacefully at Mercy Medical Center - North on Dec. 5, 2013. Funeral services will take place at 10:30 a.m. on Monday, December 9th at Lemke Funer
- More Obituaries Headlines