May 25, 1936 - Feb. 24, 2013
Howard E. Pray, age 76, of Bettendorf, passed away on Sunday, February 24, 2013 at Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House in Bettendorf.
Services to celebrate his life will be held at 10:00 a.m. on Friday, March 1, 2013 at Weerts Funeral Home, Kimberly and Jersey Ridge in Davenport. The family will greet friends from 4:00 – 8:00 p.m. on Thursday, February 28, 2013 at the funeral home. Burial will be in Dubuque Memorial Gardens. Memorials may be made to: Beacon of Hope Hospice, Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House, Kittan District Boy Scouts, or University of Iowa Children’s Hospital.
Howard was born May 25, 1936 in Clinton, Iowa to John and Gladys Pray. He graduated from Charlotte (IA) High School in 1955. Howard served as a paratrooper in the U.S. Army from 1955 until 1957. Howard worked as an industrial truck mechanic at Alcoa for over 33 years, retiring in 1993. On July 23, 1960, he was united in marriage to Judith A. Blok in Dubuque, Iowa.
Howard was involved in Boy Scouts for many years. He was active in Troop 82 in Bettendorf by participating in troop activities, attending summer camps, and venturing to the National Jamboree. Howard participated in many Boy Scout training sessions, traveled to Philmont Scout Ranch, and attended the World Scout Jamboree in Sydney, Australia in 1987. He served on the Eagle Scout Board of Review and as a staff member at Loud Thunder Boy Scout camp in the summers. In 1994, Howard received the Silver Beaver Award from the Illowa Council.
Howard had many interests. He loved spending time with his family and friends. Howard and his family enjoyed taking vacations and traveled to the Smoky Mountains, Ohio, Wisconsin, Hawaii, Canada, and Germany. Howard enjoyed collecting wood planes, A&W memorabilia, pedal tractors, and Allis Chalmers farm toys. He served in a variety of roles for the Atkinson Gas Engine Club and spent time collecting and restoring antique gas engines.
Survivors include his wife, Judith; daughters, Darcia (Kevin) Hall of Columbia, MO, and Heather (Kurt) Alexander of Bettendorf; a son, John (Teri) Pray of Moline, IL; grandchildren Alecia Alexander of Davenport, Patrick and Hannah Pray of Moline. A sister, Gloria (Keith) Lowry of Peoria, IL; and brothers, John Pray of Clinton, IA, and Robert Pray of Fayetteville, NC also survive.
Howard was preceded in death by his parents, his brother Richard, and an infant sister, Inez.
Online condolences may be expressed to Howard’s family by visiting his obituary at www.WeertsFH.com.
Death date: Feb. 24, 2013
May 25, 1936 - Feb. 24, 2013
Richard (Ric) Irving Carlsen
Richard (Ric) Irving Carlsen, age 72 of Belmont, CA formerly of San Francisco, CA died February 28, 2014. Per his wishes he was cremated. A memorial service will be April 4, 2014 and his ashes will be scattered in San Francisco Bay.
Mary Ann "Ma" Finn
Formerly of Fulton, IL, Ann was born in Glasgow, Scotland, & immigrated to America with her family. She worked at A.C. Neilsen Co. & Eagles Grocery Store.
- Wilma Reichling MAQUOKETA -- Wilma Reichling, 90, of Maquoketa, passed away Tuesday, March 4, 2014 at Clover Ridge in Maquoketa. Funeral services celebrating her life will be held at 10:30 a.m. on Saturday, March 8, 2014 at the First Lutheran Church in Maquoketa. Vi
- Francis E. 'Jay' Keiller Clinton Francis E. 'Jay' Keiller Francis E. "Jay" Keiller, 66, of Clinton, died Wednesday at Select Specialty Hospital in Davenport. Arrangements are pending at Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Jackson Rhys Laurion CLINTON -- Jackson Rhys Laurion, infant son of Levi and Jessica Laurion, passed away Tuesday, March 4, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center North. Funeral services will be held at 1:00 p.m. on Saturday, March 8, 2014 at the Pape Funeral Home. Visitation wil
- Donald A. Lass Donald A. Lass Jan. 4, 1937 - March 3, 2014 CLINTON -- Donald A. Lass took his Savior's hand and stepped into paradise early Monday morning, March 3, 2014, his father's birthday, after succumbing to long-term effects of Parkinson's disease. Cremation
- Martin 'Marty' Fritz LANARK, Ill. -- Martin "Marty" Fritz, 89, of Lanark, died Tuesday at Big Meadows Nursing Home in Savanna, Ill. A funeral service will be held at 2 p.m. Sunday at the First Brethren Church in Lanark, with Pastor E. C. Lathrop officiating. Military rit
- Richard S. “Dick” Lewandowski, Jr.
- Myrna June (Eversoll) McNeal OMAHA, Neb. -- Myrna June (Eversoll) McNeal, 71, of Omaha, died Feb. 13. Memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. March 29 with Captain Allen Otto officiating the service at the Salvation Army Citadel, 219 First Ave., with a luncheon to follow at the
- James L. 'Jamie' Yarolem BALDWIN -- James L. "Jamie" Yarolem, 48, of Baldwin, died Sunday at his mother's home in rural Baldwin. Friends and family may gather in remembrance on Thursday from 5 to 7 p.m. at Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Cremation has taken p
- More Obituaries Headlines
- Richard (Ric) Irving Carlsen