May 25, 1936 - Feb. 24, 2013
Howard E. Pray, age 76, of Bettendorf, passed away on Sunday, February 24, 2013 at Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House in Bettendorf.
Services to celebrate his life will be held at 10:00 a.m. on Friday, March 1, 2013 at Weerts Funeral Home, Kimberly and Jersey Ridge in Davenport. The family will greet friends from 4:00 – 8:00 p.m. on Thursday, February 28, 2013 at the funeral home. Burial will be in Dubuque Memorial Gardens. Memorials may be made to: Beacon of Hope Hospice, Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House, Kittan District Boy Scouts, or University of Iowa Children’s Hospital.
Howard was born May 25, 1936 in Clinton, Iowa to John and Gladys Pray. He graduated from Charlotte (IA) High School in 1955. Howard served as a paratrooper in the U.S. Army from 1955 until 1957. Howard worked as an industrial truck mechanic at Alcoa for over 33 years, retiring in 1993. On July 23, 1960, he was united in marriage to Judith A. Blok in Dubuque, Iowa.
Howard was involved in Boy Scouts for many years. He was active in Troop 82 in Bettendorf by participating in troop activities, attending summer camps, and venturing to the National Jamboree. Howard participated in many Boy Scout training sessions, traveled to Philmont Scout Ranch, and attended the World Scout Jamboree in Sydney, Australia in 1987. He served on the Eagle Scout Board of Review and as a staff member at Loud Thunder Boy Scout camp in the summers. In 1994, Howard received the Silver Beaver Award from the Illowa Council.
Howard had many interests. He loved spending time with his family and friends. Howard and his family enjoyed taking vacations and traveled to the Smoky Mountains, Ohio, Wisconsin, Hawaii, Canada, and Germany. Howard enjoyed collecting wood planes, A&W memorabilia, pedal tractors, and Allis Chalmers farm toys. He served in a variety of roles for the Atkinson Gas Engine Club and spent time collecting and restoring antique gas engines.
Survivors include his wife, Judith; daughters, Darcia (Kevin) Hall of Columbia, MO, and Heather (Kurt) Alexander of Bettendorf; a son, John (Teri) Pray of Moline, IL; grandchildren Alecia Alexander of Davenport, Patrick and Hannah Pray of Moline. A sister, Gloria (Keith) Lowry of Peoria, IL; and brothers, John Pray of Clinton, IA, and Robert Pray of Fayetteville, NC also survive.
Howard was preceded in death by his parents, his brother Richard, and an infant sister, Inez.
Online condolences may be expressed to Howard’s family by visiting his obituary at www.WeertsFH.com.
Death date: Feb. 24, 2013
May 25, 1936 - Feb. 24, 2013
- James Robert Paglin ELIZABETH, Ill. -- James Robert Paglin, 75, of Elizabeth, died Monday at home. A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at St. Paul Lutheran Church in Elizabeth with the Rev. Harvey Nicholson officiating. Burial will be in Woodbine, Ill
- Nancy L. Weed Nancy L. Weed March 5, 1945 - April 21, 2014 CLINTON -- Nancy L. Weed, age 69, of Clinton, died Monday, April 21, 2014 at her home. According to her wishes, cremation rites have been accorded. Memorial services will be held at 5:00 p.m. Thursday, Ap
- Vinson Carpenter Clinton Vinson Carpenter Vinson Carpenter, 83, of Clinton, died Monday at home. Arrangements are pending at Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Jane B. Meyer CLINTON -- Jane B. Meyer, 84, of Clinton, died Sunday at Mercy Living Center South. A gathering will be held from 1 to 2 p.m. Saturday at First Congregational Church. A memorial service will begin at 2 p.m. A complete obituary will appear in Thursda
- Janice 'Jan' Brondyke CLINTON -- Janice "Jan" Brondyke, 68, of Clinton, died March 28 in Kingwood, Texas. She will be cremated and her ashes spread on Galveston Beach, Texas. She is survived by her brother, Jim. Death date: March 28, 2014 Janice 'Jan' Brondyke
- Jane B. Meyer Clinton Jane B. Meyer Jane B. Meyer, 84, of Clinton, died Sunday at Mercy Living Center South. Arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home.
- Kenneth R. Buck MADISON, Wis. -- Kenneth R. Buck, 76, of Madison, and formerly of Mount Carroll, Ill., died Wednesday at home. A funeral service will be held at noon Saturday at Frank-Law-Jones Funeral Home in Mount Carroll. A visitation will be held from 10 a.m. to
- Eunice J. Leibert Eunice J. Leibert Dec. 4, 1931 - April 21, 2014 CLINTON -- Eunice J. Leibert, age 82, of Clinton, died Monday April 21st at Trinity Regional Health System in Bettendorf. Funeral services will be held 11:00 a.m. Thursday at the Pape Funeral Home. Visi
- Nancy L. Weed Clinton Nancy L. Weed Nancy L. Weed, 69, of Clinton, died Monday at home. Arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home in Clinton.
- Henrietta 'Etta' Jane Wiebenga Henrietta "Etta" Jane Wiebenga Jan. 19, 1924 - April 20, 2014 CLINTON -- Henrietta "Etta" Jane Wiebenga, 90, of Prairie Hills Senior Living Center in Clinton, IA; formerly of Fulton, IL, died Sunday, April 20, 2014, at Mercy Living Center South, Clin
- More Obituaries Headlines