May 25, 1936 - Feb. 24, 2013
Howard E. Pray, age 76, of Bettendorf, passed away on Sunday, February 24, 2013 at Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House in Bettendorf.
Services to celebrate his life will be held at 10:00 a.m. on Friday, March 1, 2013 at Weerts Funeral Home, Kimberly and Jersey Ridge in Davenport. The family will greet friends from 4:00 – 8:00 p.m. on Thursday, February 28, 2013 at the funeral home. Burial will be in Dubuque Memorial Gardens. Memorials may be made to: Beacon of Hope Hospice, Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House, Kittan District Boy Scouts, or University of Iowa Children’s Hospital.
Howard was born May 25, 1936 in Clinton, Iowa to John and Gladys Pray. He graduated from Charlotte (IA) High School in 1955. Howard served as a paratrooper in the U.S. Army from 1955 until 1957. Howard worked as an industrial truck mechanic at Alcoa for over 33 years, retiring in 1993. On July 23, 1960, he was united in marriage to Judith A. Blok in Dubuque, Iowa.
Howard was involved in Boy Scouts for many years. He was active in Troop 82 in Bettendorf by participating in troop activities, attending summer camps, and venturing to the National Jamboree. Howard participated in many Boy Scout training sessions, traveled to Philmont Scout Ranch, and attended the World Scout Jamboree in Sydney, Australia in 1987. He served on the Eagle Scout Board of Review and as a staff member at Loud Thunder Boy Scout camp in the summers. In 1994, Howard received the Silver Beaver Award from the Illowa Council.
Howard had many interests. He loved spending time with his family and friends. Howard and his family enjoyed taking vacations and traveled to the Smoky Mountains, Ohio, Wisconsin, Hawaii, Canada, and Germany. Howard enjoyed collecting wood planes, A&W memorabilia, pedal tractors, and Allis Chalmers farm toys. He served in a variety of roles for the Atkinson Gas Engine Club and spent time collecting and restoring antique gas engines.
Survivors include his wife, Judith; daughters, Darcia (Kevin) Hall of Columbia, MO, and Heather (Kurt) Alexander of Bettendorf; a son, John (Teri) Pray of Moline, IL; grandchildren Alecia Alexander of Davenport, Patrick and Hannah Pray of Moline. A sister, Gloria (Keith) Lowry of Peoria, IL; and brothers, John Pray of Clinton, IA, and Robert Pray of Fayetteville, NC also survive.
Howard was preceded in death by his parents, his brother Richard, and an infant sister, Inez.
Online condolences may be expressed to Howard’s family by visiting his obituary at www.WeertsFH.com.
Death date: Feb. 24, 2013
May 25, 1936 - Feb. 24, 2013
- Eleanor Douglas Morrison, Ill. Eleanor Douglas Eleanor Douglas, 93, of Morrison and formerly of Fulton, Ill., died Wednesday at Pleasant View Nursing Home in Morrison. Arrangements are pending at the Morrison chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home.
- Peggy Lee Kuehl MORRISON, Ill. -- Peggy Lee Kuehl, 76, of Clinton and formerly of Morrison, died Thursday, April 17, 2014, at Harmony House in Mercy Living Center South, Clinton, IA. Funeral services will be at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, April 22, 2014 at the Morrison Unit
- Douglas W. Fulton Douglas W. Fulton March 21, 1944 - April 15, 2014 CLINTON -- Douglas W. Fulton, age 70, of Clinton, died Tuesday April 15, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospital in Iowa City. According to family wishes, cremation rites have been accorded. A privat
- Lois I. Ruggeberg Lois I. Ruggeberg Feb. 22, 1919 - April 15, 2014 DEWITT -- Lois I. (Mrs. Harold) Ruggeberg, 95, of DeWitt, Iowa, died Tuesday evening, April 15, 2014, at Eagle Point Health & Rehab Center, Clinton, Iowa. Mrs. Ruggeberg, the former Lois Irene Allison,
- Charlotte Howard Clinton Charlotte Howard Charlotte Howard, 63, of Clinton, died Wednesday at the Alverno. Arrangements are pending at Lemke Funeral Homes.
- Bev Durkop MAQUOKETA -- Bev Durkop, 70, of Maquoketa, died Sunday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. A celebration of her life will be held at 10 a.m. Friday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be he
- Marvin 'Bump' Kosin Jr. Marvin 'Bump' Kosin Jr. Oct. 29, 1950 - April 16, 2014 FULTON, Ill. -- Marvin "Bump" Kosin, Jr, 63, of Fulton, died Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, Iowa. Funeral services will be 10:00 a.m., Satur
- Jayne Ann Bowen MAQUOKETA -- Jayne Ann Bowen, 64, of Maquoketa, died Monday at home. A celebration of her life will be held at 10 a.m. Thursday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. today at the funeral home.
- Helen J. Erps Helen J. Erps Sept. 7, 1928 - April 14, 2014 CAMANCHE -- Helen J. Erps, 85, of Camanche, passed away, Monday, April 14, 2014 at the Alverno. Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m. Saturday, April 19, 2014 at the Immanuel Lutheran Church - Camanche. Buri
- Gilbert L. 'Steve' Stephenson DEWITT -- Gilbert L. "Steve" Stephenson, 81, of DeWitt, died Monday at Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House in Bettendorf. A visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt. A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Sat
- More Obituaries Headlines