May 25, 1936 - Feb. 24, 2013
Howard E. Pray, age 76, of Bettendorf, passed away on Sunday, February 24, 2013 at Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House in Bettendorf.
Services to celebrate his life will be held at 10:00 a.m. on Friday, March 1, 2013 at Weerts Funeral Home, Kimberly and Jersey Ridge in Davenport. The family will greet friends from 4:00 – 8:00 p.m. on Thursday, February 28, 2013 at the funeral home. Burial will be in Dubuque Memorial Gardens. Memorials may be made to: Beacon of Hope Hospice, Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House, Kittan District Boy Scouts, or University of Iowa Children’s Hospital.
Howard was born May 25, 1936 in Clinton, Iowa to John and Gladys Pray. He graduated from Charlotte (IA) High School in 1955. Howard served as a paratrooper in the U.S. Army from 1955 until 1957. Howard worked as an industrial truck mechanic at Alcoa for over 33 years, retiring in 1993. On July 23, 1960, he was united in marriage to Judith A. Blok in Dubuque, Iowa.
Howard was involved in Boy Scouts for many years. He was active in Troop 82 in Bettendorf by participating in troop activities, attending summer camps, and venturing to the National Jamboree. Howard participated in many Boy Scout training sessions, traveled to Philmont Scout Ranch, and attended the World Scout Jamboree in Sydney, Australia in 1987. He served on the Eagle Scout Board of Review and as a staff member at Loud Thunder Boy Scout camp in the summers. In 1994, Howard received the Silver Beaver Award from the Illowa Council.
Howard had many interests. He loved spending time with his family and friends. Howard and his family enjoyed taking vacations and traveled to the Smoky Mountains, Ohio, Wisconsin, Hawaii, Canada, and Germany. Howard enjoyed collecting wood planes, A&W memorabilia, pedal tractors, and Allis Chalmers farm toys. He served in a variety of roles for the Atkinson Gas Engine Club and spent time collecting and restoring antique gas engines.
Survivors include his wife, Judith; daughters, Darcia (Kevin) Hall of Columbia, MO, and Heather (Kurt) Alexander of Bettendorf; a son, John (Teri) Pray of Moline, IL; grandchildren Alecia Alexander of Davenport, Patrick and Hannah Pray of Moline. A sister, Gloria (Keith) Lowry of Peoria, IL; and brothers, John Pray of Clinton, IA, and Robert Pray of Fayetteville, NC also survive.
Howard was preceded in death by his parents, his brother Richard, and an infant sister, Inez.
Online condolences may be expressed to Howard’s family by visiting his obituary at www.WeertsFH.com.
Death date: Feb. 24, 2013
May 25, 1936 - Feb. 24, 2013
- Jayne Ann Bowen MAQUOKETA -- Jayne Ann Bowen, 64, of Maquoketa, died Monday at home. A celebration of her life will be held at 10 a.m. Thursday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. today at the funeral home.
- Helen J. Erps Helen J. Erps Sept. 7, 1928 - April 14, 2014 CAMANCHE -- Helen J. Erps, 85, of Camanche, passed away, Monday, April 14, 2014 at the Alverno. Funeral services will be 10:30 a.m. Saturday, April 19, 2014 at the Immanuel Lutheran Church - Camanche. Buri
- Gilbert L. 'Steve' Stephenson DEWITT -- Gilbert L. "Steve" Stephenson, 81, of DeWitt, died Monday at Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House in Bettendorf. A visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt. A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Sat
- Lois Ruggeberg DeWitt Lois Ruggeberg Lois Ruggeberg, 95, of DeWitt, died Tuesday at Eagle Point Nursing and Rehab Center in Clinton. Arrangements are pending at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt.
- Annalisa Lillian Green LAKE CARROLL, Ill. -- Annalisa Lillian Green, 93, of Lake Carroll, formerly of Chicago, died Thursday. Cremation rites have been accorded. A memorial service will be held from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, May 10, at the Medinah, Ill., Country Club. De
- Helen J. Erps Camanche Helen J. Erps Helen J. Erps, 85, of Camanche, died Monday at the Alverno. Arrangements are pending at the Camanche Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Richard G. Gifford Richard G. Gifford Oct. 17, 1931 - April 12, 2014 CLINTON -- Richard G. Gifford, 82, of Clinton, passed away, Saturday, April 12, 2014 at his home in Clinton. There will no services or visitation per his wishes the body has been cremated. The Clinton
- Gilbert L. Stephenson DeWitt Gilbert L. Stephenson Gilbert L. Stephenson, 81, of DeWitt, died Monday at Clarissa C. Cook Hospice House in Bettendorf. Arrangements are pending at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt. Gilbert L. Stephenson
- Furman C. Doty Furman C. Doty May 23, 1939 - April 12, 2014 CLINTON -- Furman C. Doty, 74, of Clinton, Iowa, died Saturday, April 12, 2014 at the University of Iowa. Memorial services will be held at 10:30 a.m. Thursday, April 17, 2014 at the Clinton Church of Chri
- Beverly Durkop Maquoketa Beverly Durkop Beverly Durkop, 70, of Maquoketa, died Sunday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. Arrangements are pending at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa.
- More Obituaries Headlines