THOMSON, Ill. —
Jan. 17, 1929 - March 3, 2013
John Henry Krahn, age 84, of Thomson, Illinois, died on Sunday, March 3, 2013, at the Pleasant View Nursing Home, Morrison, Illinois.
A funeral service will be held at 5 p.m. Thursday, March 7, 2013, at the Law-Jones Funeral Home, Thomson. Cremation rites will be accorded following the service. A visitation will be held from 2 to 5 p.m., prior to the service at the funeral home. A memorial fund has been established in John’s memory. Online condolences may be left for the family at www.lawjonesfuneralhome.com.
John was born January 17, 1929, the son of Harry A. and Mata C. (Hansen) Krahn in Savanna, Illinois. John graduated from Savanna Township High School with the class of 1948. He married Ida May Gray on August 26, 1950.
John began working on February 2, 1946, for RJ Caron Chevrolet in Savanna. In 1959, he moved to Thomson and became a partner in the Lewis Motor Company with Paul and Bob Lewis. In 1966, John built a new facility for the Chevrolet dealership, which included Krahn Koffee Kup. In 1968, he purchased RJ Caron Chevrolet in Savanna and continued to operate both dealerships until 1975. John later sold the facilities in Thomson to the James Family. In 1974, John purchased Diehl Oil Company and built new facilities in 1987, which included a laundromat, car wash, shop and office space. In 1977, he acquired the Oldsmobile franchise and built new a few facility at 800 Viaduct Road in Savanna. John later sold this dealership to Guffey Motors in 1982. John also owned and operated Krahn Transit School Buses from 1982 to 1992 providing school transportation for Savanna and Thomson school children.
John proudly served on The Carroll County Housing Authority as a board member and chairman and was a member of the Chevrolet Dealer Planning Commission. He also participated in the Thomson Lyons Club, 10 years; Thomson Melon Days Association, 18 years; Thomson/York Rotary Club, joined in 1984 and was a past charter president; a member of the Methodist Church in Thomson; former member of the Thomson Chamber of Commerce; founder of the Thomson Rotary Scholarship; MC of the annual Thomson Halloween parade and party for 35 years; the Thomson Depot Committee; and was awarded the Outstanding Citizen Award for dedicated service in law enforcement profession. John was a believer in revitalizing his community of Thomson. He was especially proud of Law-Jones Funeral Home, the Thomson Post Office and the Thomson Casey’s Store. John will long be remembered for his devotion to his family, friends and the city of Thomson.
John is survived by his wife, Ida; six grandchildren; nine great-grandchildren and two stepgreat-grandchildren.
John is preceded in death by his parents; three sons, Warren, Dale and Doug; two brothers, Herb and Vernon “Red” Krahn; and one sister, Marie Schmidt.
Death Date: March 3, 2013
THOMSON, Ill. —
Jan. 17, 1929 - March 3, 2013
- Eleanor J. Douglas MORRISON, Ill. -- Eleanor J. Douglas, 93, of Pleasant View Nursing Home, Morrison, died Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at the nursing home. The funeral will begin at 10:30 AM Tuesday, April 22, 2014 at the Morrison Chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home,
- Charlotte Howard Aug. 1, 1950 - April 16, 2014 CLINTON -- Charlotte Ann Howard, 63, of Clinton, Iowa, passed away at the Alverno on April 16, 2014. Funeral services will be at 3:00 p.m. Tuesday, April 22 at Lemke Funeral Homes - South Chapel (2610 Manufacturing Drive
- Eleanor Douglas Morrison, Ill. Eleanor Douglas Eleanor Douglas, 93, of Morrison and formerly of Fulton, Ill., died Wednesday at Pleasant View Nursing Home in Morrison. Arrangements are pending at the Morrison chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home.
- Peggy Lee Kuehl MORRISON, Ill. -- Peggy Lee Kuehl, 76, of Clinton and formerly of Morrison, died Thursday, April 17, 2014, at Harmony House in Mercy Living Center South, Clinton, IA. Funeral services will be at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, April 22, 2014 at the Morrison Unit
- Douglas W. Fulton Douglas W. Fulton March 21, 1944 - April 15, 2014 CLINTON -- Douglas W. Fulton, age 70, of Clinton, died Tuesday April 15, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospital in Iowa City. According to family wishes, cremation rites have been accorded. A privat
- Lois I. Ruggeberg Lois I. Ruggeberg Feb. 22, 1919 - April 15, 2014 DEWITT -- Lois I. (Mrs. Harold) Ruggeberg, 95, of DeWitt, Iowa, died Tuesday evening, April 15, 2014, at Eagle Point Health & Rehab Center, Clinton, Iowa. Mrs. Ruggeberg, the former Lois Irene Allison,
- Charlotte Howard Clinton Charlotte Howard Charlotte Howard, 63, of Clinton, died Wednesday at the Alverno. Arrangements are pending at Lemke Funeral Homes.
- Bev Durkop MAQUOKETA -- Bev Durkop, 70, of Maquoketa, died Sunday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. A celebration of her life will be held at 10 a.m. Friday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be he
- Marvin 'Bump' Kosin Jr. Marvin 'Bump' Kosin Jr. Oct. 29, 1950 - April 16, 2014 FULTON, Ill. -- Marvin "Bump" Kosin, Jr, 63, of Fulton, died Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, Iowa. Funeral services will be 10:00 a.m., Satur
- Jayne Ann Bowen MAQUOKETA -- Jayne Ann Bowen, 64, of Maquoketa, died Monday at home. A celebration of her life will be held at 10 a.m. Thursday at the Carson Celebration of Life Center in Maquoketa. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. today at the funeral home.
- More Obituaries Headlines