THOMSON, Ill. —
Jan. 17, 1929 - March 3, 2013
John Henry Krahn, age 84, of Thomson, Illinois, died on Sunday, March 3, 2013, at the Pleasant View Nursing Home, Morrison, Illinois.
A funeral service will be held at 5 p.m. Thursday, March 7, 2013, at the Law-Jones Funeral Home, Thomson. Cremation rites will be accorded following the service. A visitation will be held from 2 to 5 p.m., prior to the service at the funeral home. A memorial fund has been established in John’s memory. Online condolences may be left for the family at www.lawjonesfuneralhome.com.
John was born January 17, 1929, the son of Harry A. and Mata C. (Hansen) Krahn in Savanna, Illinois. John graduated from Savanna Township High School with the class of 1948. He married Ida May Gray on August 26, 1950.
John began working on February 2, 1946, for RJ Caron Chevrolet in Savanna. In 1959, he moved to Thomson and became a partner in the Lewis Motor Company with Paul and Bob Lewis. In 1966, John built a new facility for the Chevrolet dealership, which included Krahn Koffee Kup. In 1968, he purchased RJ Caron Chevrolet in Savanna and continued to operate both dealerships until 1975. John later sold the facilities in Thomson to the James Family. In 1974, John purchased Diehl Oil Company and built new facilities in 1987, which included a laundromat, car wash, shop and office space. In 1977, he acquired the Oldsmobile franchise and built new a few facility at 800 Viaduct Road in Savanna. John later sold this dealership to Guffey Motors in 1982. John also owned and operated Krahn Transit School Buses from 1982 to 1992 providing school transportation for Savanna and Thomson school children.
John proudly served on The Carroll County Housing Authority as a board member and chairman and was a member of the Chevrolet Dealer Planning Commission. He also participated in the Thomson Lyons Club, 10 years; Thomson Melon Days Association, 18 years; Thomson/York Rotary Club, joined in 1984 and was a past charter president; a member of the Methodist Church in Thomson; former member of the Thomson Chamber of Commerce; founder of the Thomson Rotary Scholarship; MC of the annual Thomson Halloween parade and party for 35 years; the Thomson Depot Committee; and was awarded the Outstanding Citizen Award for dedicated service in law enforcement profession. John was a believer in revitalizing his community of Thomson. He was especially proud of Law-Jones Funeral Home, the Thomson Post Office and the Thomson Casey’s Store. John will long be remembered for his devotion to his family, friends and the city of Thomson.
John is survived by his wife, Ida; six grandchildren; nine great-grandchildren and two stepgreat-grandchildren.
John is preceded in death by his parents; three sons, Warren, Dale and Doug; two brothers, Herb and Vernon “Red” Krahn; and one sister, Marie Schmidt.
Death Date: March 3, 2013
THOMSON, Ill. —
Jan. 17, 1929 - March 3, 2013
- Wilma J. Owen DeWitt Wilma J. Owen Wilma J. Owen, 74, of DeWitt, died Friday at Genesis Medical Center East in Davenport. Arrangements are pending at Schultz Funeral Home in DeWitt.
- Ernestine W. Finnegan July 21, 1931 - March 6, 2014 CAMANCHE -- Ernestine W. Finnegan, 82, a resident of Camanche, IA, formerly of Princeton, died Thursday, March 6, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center in Clinton. Funeral services celebrating her life will be held at 12 Noon on
- Lana R. Woodard Sept. 3, 1947 - March 6, 2014 BIG ROCK, Ill. -- Lana R. Woodard, age 66, of Big Rock, passed away on Thursday, March 6, 2014 at her home. Funeral services will be held on Monday, March 10, 2014 at 10:30 a.m. at Chapman Funeral Home in Wheatland with
- Shirley Andresen Clinton Shirley Andresen Shirley Andresen, 76, of Clinton, died Friday at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. Arrangements are pending at Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes and Crematory.
- Francis E. 'Jay' Keiller Jan. 12, 1948 - March 5, 2014 CLINTON -- Francis E. "Jay" Keiller, 66, of Clinton, passed away, Wednesday, March 5, 2014, surrounded by his loving family at Select Specialty Hospital, Davenport, Iowa. Funeral services will be 2:00 p.m., Sunday, Marc
Patricia Ann Fairbanks
Patricia Ann Fairbanks, 71, of La Crosse, Wisconsin (formally of Clinton) passed away March 2, 2014 unexpectedly after a short battle with cancer.
- Jerald Kreucher April 16, 1933-March 5, 2014 CLINTON -- Jerald Kreucher age 80 of Clinton, left this world to be with his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ on Wednesday March 5, 2014 at Mercy North Medical Center. Funeral services will be held at the Pape Funeral Home o
- Pamela Harlock Clinton Pamela Harlock Pamela J. Harlock, 63 of Clinton, died Thursday March 6, 2014 at her home in San Antonio, Texas. Funeral arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home, Clinton.
- Pamela Rae Baker Fulton, Ill. Pamela Rae Baker Pamela Rae Baker, 65, of Fulton, died Wednesday, March 5, 2014 at her home Visitation will be from 4 to 6 p.m. Saturday, March 8, 2014 at the Fulton Chapel of the Bosma-Renkes Funeral Home in Fulton. There will be no fun
- Francis Keiller Clinton Francis Keiller Francis E. "Jay" Keiller, 66, of Clinton, died Wednesday, March 5, 2014 at Select Specialty Hospital - Davenport. Funeral services will be 2 p.m. Sunday, March 9, 2014 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes & Cremato
- More Obituaries Headlines