THOMSON, Ill. —
Jan. 17, 1929 - March 3, 2013
John Henry Krahn, age 84, of Thomson, Illinois, died on Sunday, March 3, 2013, at the Pleasant View Nursing Home, Morrison, Illinois.
A funeral service will be held at 5 p.m. Thursday, March 7, 2013, at the Law-Jones Funeral Home, Thomson. Cremation rites will be accorded following the service. A visitation will be held from 2 to 5 p.m., prior to the service at the funeral home. A memorial fund has been established in John’s memory. Online condolences may be left for the family at www.lawjonesfuneralhome.com.
John was born January 17, 1929, the son of Harry A. and Mata C. (Hansen) Krahn in Savanna, Illinois. John graduated from Savanna Township High School with the class of 1948. He married Ida May Gray on August 26, 1950.
John began working on February 2, 1946, for RJ Caron Chevrolet in Savanna. In 1959, he moved to Thomson and became a partner in the Lewis Motor Company with Paul and Bob Lewis. In 1966, John built a new facility for the Chevrolet dealership, which included Krahn Koffee Kup. In 1968, he purchased RJ Caron Chevrolet in Savanna and continued to operate both dealerships until 1975. John later sold the facilities in Thomson to the James Family. In 1974, John purchased Diehl Oil Company and built new facilities in 1987, which included a laundromat, car wash, shop and office space. In 1977, he acquired the Oldsmobile franchise and built new a few facility at 800 Viaduct Road in Savanna. John later sold this dealership to Guffey Motors in 1982. John also owned and operated Krahn Transit School Buses from 1982 to 1992 providing school transportation for Savanna and Thomson school children.
John proudly served on The Carroll County Housing Authority as a board member and chairman and was a member of the Chevrolet Dealer Planning Commission. He also participated in the Thomson Lyons Club, 10 years; Thomson Melon Days Association, 18 years; Thomson/York Rotary Club, joined in 1984 and was a past charter president; a member of the Methodist Church in Thomson; former member of the Thomson Chamber of Commerce; founder of the Thomson Rotary Scholarship; MC of the annual Thomson Halloween parade and party for 35 years; the Thomson Depot Committee; and was awarded the Outstanding Citizen Award for dedicated service in law enforcement profession. John was a believer in revitalizing his community of Thomson. He was especially proud of Law-Jones Funeral Home, the Thomson Post Office and the Thomson Casey’s Store. John will long be remembered for his devotion to his family, friends and the city of Thomson.
John is survived by his wife, Ida; six grandchildren; nine great-grandchildren and two stepgreat-grandchildren.
John is preceded in death by his parents; three sons, Warren, Dale and Doug; two brothers, Herb and Vernon “Red” Krahn; and one sister, Marie Schmidt.
Death Date: March 3, 2013
THOMSON, Ill. —
Jan. 17, 1929 - March 3, 2013
- Sharon Darlene Hayes CALAMUS — Sharon Darlene Hayes, 69, of Calamus, died Saturday at Wheatland Manor.The family will greet visitors from 9 to 10:15 a.m. Tuesday at Faith Lutheran Church in Calamus. A memorial service will follow at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday at the church. The
- Joseph F. Clancy Cedar RapidsJoseph F. ClancyJoseph F. Clancy, 46, of Cedar Rapids and formerly of Clinton, died Sunday at his mother’s home in Clinton. Arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home in Clinton.
- Robert Hammer ClintonRobert HammerRobert Hammer, 84, of Clinton died Sunday, July 27, 2014 at his home. Arrangements are pending at the Pape Funeral Home.
- Wilma C. Kimball Wilma C. KimballNov. 4, 1917 - July 26, 2014CAMANCHE — Wilma C. Kimball, age 96, of Camanche, passed away Saturday, July 26, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center North. There will be no visitation. Graveside services will be held at 6:00 p.m. on Tuesday, Jul
- Linda J. Pro ClintonLinda J. ProLinda J. Pro, 70, of West Hartford, Connecticut, formerly of Clinton, died Wednesday at the Hartford Hospital – Hartford, Connecticut. Arrangements are pending at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes & Crematory.
- Steven C. Charnoski Feb. 24, 1948 – July 24, 2014CAMANCHE — Steven C. Charnoski, 66, of Camanche, passed away, Thursday, July 24, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center – Clinton.Funeral Services will be 1:30 p.m. Tuesday, July 29, 2014 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral
- Delbert H. Stamp Oct. 2, 1931 – July 24, 2014CLINTON — Delbert H. Stamp, 82, of Clinton, passed away, Wednesday, July 24, 2014 at Westbrook Acres in Gladbrook, Iowa.Funeral Services will be 2:30 p.m. Monday, July 28, 2014 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Ho
- Joyce Hartman March 22, 1919 – July 24, 2014MOUNT CARROLL, Ill. — Joyce Ramona L. Hartman, 95, of Rockford, passed away on Thursday, July 24, 2014, in Wesley Willows Health Center. Born March 22, 1919, in Kirkland, Ill., the daughter of George and Nellie (Burt) La
- Jana Sue Goettsch June 1, 1955 – July 25, 2014LOWDEN — Jana Sue Goettsch, 59, of Lowden, died Friday, July 25, 2014, at Wheatland Manor.She was born June 1, 1955 in Clinton to Robert R. and Dolores Shelton Stankee. She married Jeff Goettsch on November 25, 1989 in Wh
- Doris D. Sheldon ClintonDoris D. SheldonDoris D. Sheldon, 83, of Clinton, died Thursday at Mercy Living Center – South, Clinton.The funeral will be 11 a.m. Monday, July 28, 2014 at the Clinton Chapel Snell-Zornig Funeral Homes & Crematory. Visitation will be from 10
- More Obituaries Headlines