It will be our last chance to replace the present city council. Every one who lives in the Clinton city limits and rents or owns property should vote this time.
Here are some reasons why.
1. A wastewater treatment plant we didn’t need with a cost over run of $33 million. Bid price $34.7 million; cost to date $67.3 million and it’s not done.
2. The fire department overbilling; lawsuit cost $4.5 million.
3. The lawsuit to correct that mistake; cost $1 million.
4. Possible appeal of the lawsuit may be $1 million more.
5. Ongoing law suit over closed meetings; unknown cost.
6. Unknown cost to supply water line to railport. More run-away expense.
They have dug a hole that will be hard to get out of, without more tax money or other fees. Only Councilman John Rowland was not there when all this happened (editor’s note: Also elected at the same time as Rowland was Julie Allesee, who had not served on the council before being elected); the rest have to be replaced.
I like Grant Wilke, Ed O’Neal, Julie Alesee, Lynn McGraw and John Rowland. But I can only vote for Grant and Julie.
Also there are two tax issues on the ballot taking money out of one pocket and putting it in another —Proposition E and F. I will vote no because in the end we will pay more tax. It is up to you, if you like what they have done and continue to do, keep them there.