- Prepare for possible effects of Fed's decisions It has been more than 5 years since the Federal Reserve has taken unprecedented steps to support the economy through purchases of Treasury and mortgage-backed debt securities. This has generally been called quantitative easing and has not been withou
What it was like as a teen
Ten years ago today, I’d like to think I was checking out educational books to prepare myself for my upcoming journey through college.
In reality, I was probably playing video games and thinking of ways to have fun, while trying not to get into too much trouble.
- Spoofing practices resurface Spoofing is the practice deliberately falsifying a telephone number and/or name relayed to the caller ID feature of a phone. This type of call right now is the number one phone scam I receive. Many people report receiving calls appearing on caller ID
- Impeaching the president Sarah Palin is right about impeaching President Obama.No, not that the president should be impeached. But Palin is correct in arguing that, for those who assert that Obama has grievously abused his executive authority, impeachment is the proper cours
- Celebrate the renovated bandshell? Yes, but... I attended the ribbon cutting for the renovated bandshell on July 1. I was a proud member of the Vision 8 team that enabled the project. However, the previous Friday night, June 27, I was also a member of the cast of “Annie Get Your Gun.”When the Nat
Posturing, predictions fly as SEC turns to a new season
Little news is truly made at the Southeastern Conference's media days, where players and coaches predict, insinuate and deflect in advance of this fall's college football season.
- Our unwillingness to defend ourselves The U.S. Justice Department’s Bureau of Justice Statistics reports that 2012 losses because of personal identity theft totaled $24.7 billion. The money losses from identity theft pale in comparison with the costs of paperwork, time and inconvenience
- Alan Dixon 'Al the Pal' will be missed What did former U.S. Sen. Alan J. Dixon, who died Sunday at the age of 86, do for you?For starters, open your purse or wallet and take a good look at your driver’s license.Before Dixon was Illinois secretary of state from 1977 to 1981, licenses consi
- Author to attend book reading Minecraft has a free play for kids. On Monday afternoons from 1 to 3 p.m., kids in grades 6 and younger can come to the library to play Minecraft independently. There are no challenges or competitions, just fun. Registration is required, so please ca
- Fasting in Ramadan can benefit health Ramadan is the ninth month of the lunar calendar when fasting is prescribed for all adult Muslims. This year it started on June 28. This month is full of blessing, mercy and devotion. It is the month of spiritual rejuvenation and repentance as well a
- More Opinion Headlines