- Governor signs volunteer legislation The Protection for Volunteers on State Lands legislation, which I requested on behalf of the "Friends of the Caves" volunteers in Maquoketa, passed the Senate and was signed by Gov. Terry Branstad late last week. The legislation requires the DNR to
- Energy initiatives approvedat statehouse Clean energy just makes sense to me, and I was happy to vote for several Senate bills that are good for the environment and the economy as well. As a leader in wind energy and ethanol, Iowa is showing the nation that clean energy works. Bipartisan s
- Sex and race equality There are several race and sex issues that need addressing. Let's look at a few of them with an ear to these questions: Should we insist upon equal treatment of people by race and sex or tolerate differences in treatment? And just how equal are peopl
- Duo to perform at library The Vermont singer/songwriter duo of Rebecca Hall and Ken Anderson will perform at the Clinton Public Library on Saturday at 2 p.m. on the second floor of the main library. The close harmony and traditional folk sound will please listeners of all age
- Talk to bosses about dress code DEAR ANNIE: I'm 18 years old. I work two jobs to save money for college next year, one during the week and the other at a coffee shop on the weekends. Last week, my boss from the coffee shop sent an email to all employees saying that we are now requi
- Senators right to demand answers over refinery spill It's not like Illinois senators have never poked their noses into Indiana issues before. Former Illinois Sen. Paul Douglas led the battle to save the Indiana Dunes. Now senators Mark Kirk, a Republican, and Dick Durbin, a Democrat, are demanding answ
- Lawmakers should push for greyhound tracks closure One has to wonder why the Iowa Legislature is even involved. Iowa's foray into gambling began in the 1980s when the first greyhound race track opened in Dubuque. Then and current Iowa Gov. Terry Branstad was on hand for the grand opening, which inclu
Time to move forward at humane society
The Gateway area needs a humane society. We’ve known that for years, and after a three-part series last week showing various issues at the Clinton Humane Society, we still believe that sentiment is true.
However, something must change as the society moves forward.
- Can you 'recuperate' your 'subjectivities'? The mother of the 16-year-old pro-life demonstrator who suffered a rough confrontation with a professor at the University of California, Santa Barbara, has shown a rare civility -- the spirit liberals are forever bemoaning the lack of but rarely demo
- There are many approaches to solve bed-wetting issue DEAR ANNIE: This is in response to "Bedwetter," who is afraid to move in with his girlfriend for fear she'll find out he still wets the bed. My oldest son had a problem with bedwetting and was unable to attend sleepovers because he didn't want his fr
- More Opinion Headlines