- Take a second look at friendship DEAR ANNIE: I’ve been friends with “Louise” for 35 years. She sees the same doctor I do.Apparently, at her last appointment, Louise talked about my grown children and how much they weigh and insinuated that my grown son is too ugly for her daughter.
- Hobby Lobby case exposes systemic problems The Supreme Court’s ruling in the Hobby Lobby case last week illuminates the flaws in an employer-based health insurance system.The Affordable Care Act came with a mandate that employer-based health insurance plans cover birth control. That sparked a
- Acts of kindness are free, easy It’s easy to get overwhelmed and discouraged by the news each day. From natural disasters, to disease, to poverty, to violence, it causes distress and worry. What could we possibly do to make a difference? Our contributions are so small, and these is
- A 'narrow' decision from the narrow-minded Relax. This is not a slippery slope.So Justices Samuel Alito writing for the majority and Anthony Kennedy writing in concurrence, take pains to assure us in the wake of the Supreme Court’s latest disastrous decision. The same august tribunal that gut
- Don't reduce personalized Social Security services Globe Gazette, June 29Did you hear about the federal government’s crazy idea? OK, the latest crazy idea?Usually we don’t get too up in arms over what we consider crazy notions, mainly because (a) Federal government, with Congress at the lead, doesn’t
- Life experience and judging How did the Supreme Court manage to agree unanimously that police must obtain a warrant before searching cellphones, yet split on whether employers must offer contraception as part of their health care plans?My explanation, slightly crude but perhaps
- Enjoy our nation's independence today Today is a good day.It’s pretty much a day off from work. We have an excuse to light fireworks. The day usually provides a beautiful backdrop to do something with friends and family. And we pretty much can’t ruin the holiday by not honoring the spiri
- Happy 4th of July DEAR READERS: Happy July 4th! Here’s a little history of the Liberty Bell:The Pennsylvania Assembly ordered the Liberty Bell in 1751 to commemorate the 50-year anniversary of William Penn’s Charter of Privileges, the original Constitution of the stat
U.S. loss on World Cup pitch was a win back home
Exuberant fans - even those who couldn't tell you what offsides means - cheered on the U.S. men's national team during the World Cup in Brazil. Are those fans excited enough to keep watching soccer now that the United States has been eliminated?
- Group's faith in Clinton leads to positive change As with all good projects, it begins with a vision.Vision 8 began with a small group of people meeting with Pastor Ron Lott of First Baptist Church and discussing some of the negative attitudes and perceptions of a small, but vocal, part of the commu
- More Opinion Headlines