Perhaps it's time to loosen Iowa's fireworks ban
Legalization of fireworks in Iowa is an issue on which we see both sides.
- Humane society must work to balance wants with needs It is no secret the Clinton Humane Society has traveled some bumpy roads over the years while on the path of caring for strays and homeless animals. While in the business of healing and helping to find homes, the local humane society has at times car
MEIER: More robo-call news
I wrote in early January 2014 about robo-calls on free medical alert systems. Robo-calls are recorded messages sent out by automated dialers, often by the thousands every minute.
- Tougher penalties will prevent kidnapping The Iowa Senate unanimously approved legislation to increase penalties for child kidnapping in response to the kidnapping and murder of 15-year-old Kathlynn Shepard of Dayton last year by Michael Klunder. Our goal is to deter others from perpetrating
- Bills pass through Iowa House This week the House passed HF2253 which toughens penalties for those convicted of crimes against children, specifically kidnapping. This bill was generated after a last summer's kidnapping of Kathlynn Shepard and Desi Hughes which resulted in the mur
United Way makes large impact on the community
United Way of Clinton County, Iowa has nearly completed the Fall 2013 Campaign to raise funds for 26 local programs. Some of which include: n Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts and Big Brothers Big Sisters to mentor at-risk children and youth; n Felix Adler Chi
- Focus on the future, not on individual needs Some day in the future, I would like to think this time of year will include a bit more positivity. For the last few years, budget planning for the next fiscal year in the Gateway area hasn't generated the pats on the back or the warm feelings that m
- Children can read to therapy dogs PAWS for Reading! On Monday, March 3, and Monday, March 17, from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m., read to a therapy dog at the library. Kids can read aloud to a therapy dog in order to improve reading and communication skills. Children read individually to trained
- Reader takes issue with Obama's path When Newt Gingrich was Speaker of the House he got spending under control while Clinton was President. Bush let sending get out of control. 2008 Obama said it's unpatriotic for Bush to run a deficit with a credit card from China that our kids will ha
- Average to strong prices at auction The Feb. 8 auction was well attended and prices were average to strong. A small box of craft items brought in $23 and a group of record albums with a Beatles album played a tune of $30. An assortment of material brought in prices ranging from $2 to $
- More Opinion Headlines
- Perhaps it's time to loosen Iowa's fireworks ban