The Clinton Herald, Clinton, Iowa

February 25, 2014

Faulty detector brings fire department to high school

By Samantha Pidde Herald Staff Writer
The Clinton Herald

---- — CLINTON — Clinton High School was evacuated Monday morning due to a faulty detector.

The Clinton Fire Department was called to the school a few minutes after 11:30 a.m. for a report of a fire alarm. Lt. Nick Carlson confirmed the alarm was caused by a faulty heat detector in classroom 108.

“It happens all over the city all the time,’ Carlson said. “Detectors go bad.”

The entire school had been evacuated by the time firefighters arrived. Carlson estimated the fire department stayed on the scene 20 minutes. Superintendent Deb Olson said the incident went very smoothly, despite it being a cold day.

“The building was evacuated very quickly. The fire department responded right away. And we got everyone back in within 25 minutes,” Olson said.