By Samantha Pidde Herald Staff Writer
The Clinton Herald
---- — CAMANCHE — Into the second week of the new school year, the Camanche Board of Education took care of annual business.
The first day of school was Aug. 13. Monday night, principals reported 338 students in the high school, 330 in the middle school and more than 400 in the elementary school. The official enrollment count day for the state is Oct. 1.
The board renewed its 4-year-old preschool agreement with Kids First! Academy. The district hast taken part in the state-funded, voluntary preschool since 2008. Camanche Elementary School Principal Neil Gray said the program seems to be a great partnership between the two organizations.
Graduation was set for 3 p.m. May 18, with practice on May 15. The last day of student attendance will be May 19. May 12 will be the last day for senior attendance.
The following action also occurred:
• The board approved the hiring of KaCee Weber as elementary office assistance, Patricia McClung as part-time PK associate, Lindsey Davis as part-time elementary associate, Jennifer Nissen as part-time elementary education assistant, Dawn Dauge as part-time elementary at-risk associate, Peggy Schnippel as part-time kitchen staff and Sherrise Barton as part-time kitchen staff;
• The board hired Laura Johnson as elementary teacher;
• Kari Gibbs was hired as the elementary counselor and was appointed to elementary school TAT and Conflict Manager;
• The board accepted the resignation of Ryan Jordan as high school teacher and coach;
• Erin Schlotfeldt was hired as high school special education, health and physical education teacher and sophomore class sponsor;
• Annette Munck was appointed to elementary school BLT;
• The board accepted Chris Powers’ resignation as ninth-grade boy’s basketball coach and hired him as assistant eighth-grade football coach;
• The board accepted the resignation of Assistant Varsity Football Coach Wade Everson;
• The board amended Chris Turner’s contract from assistant girls track coach to assistant boys track coach;
• Steve Dougherty was hired as assistant girls track coach;
• Maggie Konecne was hired as the middle school cheerleader sponsor;
• The board hired Dustin Coit as ninth-grade boy’s basketball coach;
• Dave Grim’s contract was amended from assistant to head seventh-grade football coach; and
• Six open-enrollment requests were approved.