The Clinton Herald, Clinton, Iowa

January 2, 2013

Middle school project moving forward

By Katie Dahlstrom
Herald Staff Writer

CLINTON — The new Clinton Middle School project continues to progress, with bids on the nearly $21 million project being opened last month and decisions on those bids and the sewer to be made within the coming weeks.   

More than 75 contractors bid on the project, which was split into more than 15 different smal-ler bid packages, Superintendent Deb Olson said.

“A lot of smaller construction companies could actually bid on it,” she said.

The most important bids were those on the base package and the four additional classrooms the school board decided it would like to add if financially feasible in order to make more room for the three grade levels of students that will use the school, Olson said.  

The school was orignally planned to house only seventh- and eighth-grade students at first, with sixth-grade students to be added in later, but board members decided that sixth-grade students also should move in right away.

The four classrooms would give the three grades more room, but they could all utilize the building even with them.  During the board’s meeting in November, Randy Fuller of ESTES Construction estimated the four classrooms would cost an extra $861,000 on top of the $20.8 million estimate for the entire project.  

The bids will come to the school board for approval at its January meeting.

After that, construction is expected to begin in March and be completed by July 2014. The school is expected to be opened for the 2014-2015 school year.  

“When the ground thaws we will be good to go,” Olson said.

The district is also working with the Clinton City Council in order to move forward with a revised plan for the new school’s sewer access.  

The City Council is expected vote on the sewer project at its next meeting.