Bears Ravens Football

Chicago Bears kicker Connor Barth reacts after kicking the game-winning field goal in an overtime period of an NFL football game against the Baltimore Ravens, Sunday, Oct. 15, 2017, in Baltimore. Chicago won 27-24 in overtime. (AP Photo/Nick Wass)

Nick Wass

BALTIMORE— When the Chicago Bears weigh the good and bad facets of their performance against the Baltimore Ravens, it’s likely they will come up with this conclusion:

Who cares? We won.

After blowing a 14-point lead, allowing two long kick returns and committing two turnovers, the Bears used a 40-yard field goal by Connor Barth in overtime to secure a 27-24 victory Sunday.

“You got to be able to take whatever situation you get and make something out of it,” defensive end Akiem Hicks said. “I wanted to get a good W, go home and relax. The coming-down-to-the-wire thing is not my favorite style, but ... however you get it, you just got to appreciate it.”

Jordan Howard ran for 167 yards, including a 53-yarder that set up the game-winning score for the Bears (2-4), whose two wins this season have come in overtime.

Howard’s long run in OT put Chicago at the Baltimore 40. After rookie Mitchell Trubisky completed an 18-yard pass to Kendall Wright, Barth delivered the decisive kick.

“It wasn’t always perfect — it seldom is — but we’re just happy to get out of here with a win,” Bears Coach John Fox said.

Making his first career start on the road, Trubisky directed a conservative game plan that leaned heavily on the run. The first-round draft pick completed 8 of 16 passes for 113 yards and a touchdown.

“We took what the defense gave us,” he said. “The run game was working, so let’s keep pounding the rock.”

Howard had 36 carries and the Bears gained 231 yards on 54 attempts.

“Whatever it takes to win,” Fox stressed. “This week, we had to run the ball — and we did.”

Baltimore (3-3) trailed 17-3 in the third quarter and 24-16 late in regulation before capitalizing on special teams play to get back in the game.

Bobby Rainey took a kickoff 96 yards for a score to begin the comeback, and Michael Campanaro brought back a punt 77 yards for a touchdown with 1:37 remaining. The two-point conversion was successful, setting up overtime.

“Those two special teams touchdowns were huge,” Ravens Coach John Harbaugh said.

The Ravens weren’t the only ones to capitalize on big plays. Chicago used a halfback pass from Tarik Cohen to Zach Miller for a first-half score, and Adrian Amos returned an interception 90 yards for a touchdown for a 24-13 lead with 5:08 left.

Baltimore was in position for the go-ahead score when Amos got his first career interception on a pass that bounced off the chest of receiver Chris Moore, who was covered tightly by Kyle Fuller.

Chicago forced three turnovers and frustrated quarterback Joe Flacco throughout the afternoon. Operating without injured receivers Jeremy Maclin (inactive) and Breshad Perriman (second-quarter concussion), Flacco went 24-for-41 for 180 yards with two interceptions.

Trubisky put Chicago ahead 17-3 in the third quarter with an on-the-run, 27-yard touchdown pass to tight end Dion Sims, who outfought Tony Jefferson for the ball in the end zone.


The Ravens pretty much knew the Bears were going to run, and still Chicago did so — quite effectively.

“Too many yards rushing,” Harbaugh lamented. “They blocked well; they had good backs that broke some tackles.”

Especially Howard.

“He’s been that guy the whole year,” Fox said.


Bears: Defensive back Sherrick McManis left with a hamstring injury. ... Running back Benny Cunningham left with a hamstring injury.

This Week's Circulars