It's March, which means the NCAA Tournament is just around the corner. But before March Madness takes hold, the conference tournaments, which get under way this week, often provide their own share of exciting finishes. Here are five memorable buzzer beaters from conference tournament play.
Ohio State vs. Michigan (2010 Big Ten quarterfinal)
The Wolverines were two seconds away from upsetting OSU in the quarterfinals of the Big Ten Tournament in 2010. But then the Buckeyes got the ball into the hands of Evan Turner.
UConn vs. Pitt (2011 Big East quarterfinal)
Guard Kemba Walker's step-back jumper at the buzzer lifted the Huskies to an upset of Pitt in the Big East tournament and sparked a postseason run that ended with coach Jim Calhoun's third national championship.
Stetson vs. Belmont (2011 Atlantic Sun women's semifinal)
The women have provided their share of buzzer beating excitement in conference tournaments over the years, as in the 2011 Atlantic Sun Conference semifinal, when Stetson guard Victoria McGowan threw in a 55-footer to beat Belmont.
BYU vs. UTEP (1992 WAC championship)
The Cougars were on the verge of seeing their hopes for an NCAA Tournament bid dashed until forward Kevin Nixon made a shot that BYU fans still talk about more than 20 years later.
Washington vs. Arizona (2011 Pac 10 championship)
A back-and-forth championship game in 2011 between the Huskies and the Wildcats came down to Washington's final possession in overtime.
- Nitro Jam delivers thrills CORDOVA, Ill. -- Another beautiful night in Illinois gave way to a massive turnout to watch the final rounds of professional drag racing in the IHRA Nitro Jam Summer Nationals on Saturday night at Cordova Dragway Park.The event, returning to Cordova
- Rizzo's big catch backfires PHOENIX — Things are going so badly for the Chicago Cubs, even a spectacular play backfires.First baseman Anthony Rizzo tumbled over a railing and into a camera well to make a catch, but a rule allowed the go-ahead run to score from third and the Cub
- McIlroy wire-to-wire at British HOYLAKE, England — Walking off the 18th green as the British Open champion, Rory McIlroy kept gazing at all the greats on golf’s oldest trophy.On the claret jug, his name is etched in silver below Phil Mickelson.In the record book, he is listed behin
- Last year motivates Marquette WILTON -- Marquette Catholic barely missed making a second consecutive trip to the Iowa softball state tournament a year ago. But, the 3-2 regional final loss to Gilbertville Don Bosco that prevented the return trip is a key reason the Mohawks are he
- Danks hit hard in defeat CHICAGO (AP) — Jon Danks is happy the Chicago White Sox are done with the Houston Astros for this season.Danks lasted a season-low 4 1/3 innings, giving up a season-high 12 hits and seven runs in an 11-7 loss Sunday.“Dug us a hole. These guys fought
- Rebels hit roadblock WILTON – The Northeast baseball team has prided itself on making comebacks, especially on the road. Wilton would not let that happen Saturday.The Beavers defeated the Rebels 4-3 in the Class 2A District 10 baseball championship as Wilton starting pit
- L'Kings barely miss weekend sweep LANSING, Mich. -- The Clinton LumberKings were one strike away from their fifth win in six games, another road series victory and a one-run triumph. But closer Emilio Pagan allowed a game-tying infield single in the ninth inning, and Aaron Brooks all
- Rebels ready to do it on the road again WILTON — Northeast has felt right at home in Wilton the past two years. The Rebels are hoping nothing changes tonight.The Rebels (26-7) return to Wilton tonight to play the host school in the Iowa Class 2A District 10 championship baseball game. The
- In the zone, McIlroy widens lead HOYLAKE, England — Rory McIlroy saw only birdies at Royal Liverpool, mostly on his scorecard, and even one pheasant that trotted across the eighth green as he was lining up a putt. That was but a minor interruption in his command performance Friday i
- Sabers rally for walk-off win MAQUOKETA — Central DeWitt scored a pair of runs in the bottom of the seventh inning, beating Maquoketa 3-2 on Tanner Clark’s single in a Class 3A District 7 semifinal Friday night.The Sabers (21-18-1) will face Davenport Assumption in Monday night’s
- More Sports Headlines