ERIE, Ill. —
Herald Staff Report
ERIE, Ill. — A furious fourth-quarter rally wasn’t enough for Morrison to overcome a 14-point deficit Wednes-day afternoon in a 55-51 loss at the Warkins Cardinal Classic girls basketball tournament.
After trailing Galva 46-32 to start the final frame, the Fillies cut the deficit to 54-51 on a Lakin Goodman layup with 1:46 to play. Morrison did not score again, though.
Chelsea Eads, who scored a team-high 13 points — seven in the fourth quarter — shot a potentially game-tying 3-pointer with 22 seconds left, but the ball bounced around the rim and out.
Nicole Withrow made 1 of 2 free throws with about 5 seconds left to seal the game for Galva.
For Morrison, Ashley Greul scored six of her 12 points in the fourth quarter. Goodman also reached double-digit points, with five of her 11 coming in the first quater.
In other pool-play games Wednesday:
Kewanee Wethersfield built a 21-5 lead over Stockton after the first quarter and won 64-44.
The Geese were led by Sarah Hansen’s 28 points, which included six 3-pointers. Brooke Beneventi led Stockton with 14 points.
After being outscored 7-4 in the first quarter, Monmouth-Roseville dominated the rest of the game, outscoring Bureau Valley 41-8 for a 45-15 win.
Nicole Bornsheiure scored 10 to lead the Storm, while Monmouth-Roseville got 13 from Destiny Smith and 10 from Collen Judge.
Knoxville held Ridgewood scoreless in the second quarter and built a 37-6 halftime lead. Knoxville won easily 57-16 behind 18 points from Tessa Jones and 17 from Kelly Lenz.
Jasmine Jefko led Ridgewood with five points.
GALVA 55, MORRISON 51
MORRISON — Brandi Hosford 0 0-0 0, Alyssa Canales 0 1-2 1, Lakin Goodman 4 3-5 11, Hannah Carlson 0 0-0 0, Rachel Davis 1 0-0 2, Chelsea Eads 4 5-7 13, Ashley Greul 5 2-4 12, Wallander 2 0-0 4, Adrienne Banks 3 2-5 8. Totals 19 13-23 51.
GALVA — Dani Gibbs 0 0-0 0, Sarah Jeffries 1 0-0 3, Rachel VanDeVelde 1 0-0 2, Devon Peterson 0 0-0 0, Nicole Withrow 3 1-2 10, Donel Samuel 1 0-0 2, Curran Riley 5 3-4 13, Katelyn Klein 0 1-2 1, Alex Strom 8 3-6 24. Totals 19 8-14 55.
Morrison 11 9 12 19 — 51
Galva 17 7 22 9 — 55
3-point goals — Galva 9 (Strom 5, Withrow 3, Jeffries). Total fouls — Morrison 17; Galva 19. Fouled out — Davis.
ERIE, Ill. —
Herald Staff Report
- AU happy for second chance Herald Staff Report AU happy for second chance
- Ashford women take on top seed SIOUX CITY -- Nobody expected the 12-20 Ashford women to make it to the national tournament, so they can't help but to hope to pull off another surprise when they open play Wednesday in the NAIA National Tournament at the Tyson Events Center. The Sai
- All-MAC boys basketball Jones, Ernst nab league honors DAVENPORT -- Jalen Jones and Brady Ernst certainly lived up to their billing during the boys basketball season, and the honors are coming in for them in the postseason. Jones, who before the season signed a letter-of-intent to play at NCAA Division I
- River Hawks run out of points DES MOINES -- Logan Wilhelm threw the dunk down, and all momentum was on Easton Valley's side, if only for a short while. Easton Valley (21-3) ended its season in the state quarterfinals, losing to Keota 56-47 on Monday despite having the lead headi
- Harden's success extends to studies Herald Staff Report CLINTON -- When Nate Harden qualified for the Iowa high school state swimming meet this winter, he became just the second Clinton High School athlete to compete at a state postseason event in four different sports. But, his succe
- Keitel, Panthers defeat Redbirds CEDAR FALLS - Jen Keitel got the past of former Central DeWitt High School teammate Lindsay Smith as she led Northern Iowa past Illinois State 89-70 on Thursday in women's basketball. Keitel scored a game-high 23 points and grabbed nine rebounds to l
- Solid pitching leads Saints to sweep TUCSON, Ariz. - Thanks to a pair of dominant pitching performances and a veteran continuing her hot streak at the plate, the Ashford University softball team picked up a pair of wins Thursday at the Tucson Invitational Games. Sophomore Nicole Schmidt
- 'We Still Can Coach' CLINTON -- Together they have 75 years of coaching experience at their respective high schools, each about 25 miles from Clinton, but in opposite directions. They've never met, but if their combined career records weren't evidence enough, Dan Beck an
5 memorable college hoops tourney buzzer beaters
It's March, which means the NCAA Tournament is just around the corner. But before March Madness takes hold, the conference tournaments, which get under way this week, often provide their own share of exciting finishes. Here are five memorable buzzer beaters from conference tournament play.
- Prophetstown pair honored in Class 2A CHICAGO -- A pair of juniors who led Prophetstown to a runner-up finish in the Illinois Class 2A girls basketball state tournament have been named honorable mention all-state players by the Associated Press. Clare Kramer and Corrie Reiley, the top tw
- More Sports Headlines