ERIE, Ill. —
Herald Staff Report
ERIE, Ill. — A furious fourth-quarter rally wasn’t enough for Morrison to overcome a 14-point deficit Wednes-day afternoon in a 55-51 loss at the Warkins Cardinal Classic girls basketball tournament.
After trailing Galva 46-32 to start the final frame, the Fillies cut the deficit to 54-51 on a Lakin Goodman layup with 1:46 to play. Morrison did not score again, though.
Chelsea Eads, who scored a team-high 13 points — seven in the fourth quarter — shot a potentially game-tying 3-pointer with 22 seconds left, but the ball bounced around the rim and out.
Nicole Withrow made 1 of 2 free throws with about 5 seconds left to seal the game for Galva.
For Morrison, Ashley Greul scored six of her 12 points in the fourth quarter. Goodman also reached double-digit points, with five of her 11 coming in the first quater.
In other pool-play games Wednesday:
Kewanee Wethersfield built a 21-5 lead over Stockton after the first quarter and won 64-44.
The Geese were led by Sarah Hansen’s 28 points, which included six 3-pointers. Brooke Beneventi led Stockton with 14 points.
After being outscored 7-4 in the first quarter, Monmouth-Roseville dominated the rest of the game, outscoring Bureau Valley 41-8 for a 45-15 win.
Nicole Bornsheiure scored 10 to lead the Storm, while Monmouth-Roseville got 13 from Destiny Smith and 10 from Collen Judge.
Knoxville held Ridgewood scoreless in the second quarter and built a 37-6 halftime lead. Knoxville won easily 57-16 behind 18 points from Tessa Jones and 17 from Kelly Lenz.
Jasmine Jefko led Ridgewood with five points.
GALVA 55, MORRISON 51
MORRISON — Brandi Hosford 0 0-0 0, Alyssa Canales 0 1-2 1, Lakin Goodman 4 3-5 11, Hannah Carlson 0 0-0 0, Rachel Davis 1 0-0 2, Chelsea Eads 4 5-7 13, Ashley Greul 5 2-4 12, Wallander 2 0-0 4, Adrienne Banks 3 2-5 8. Totals 19 13-23 51.
GALVA — Dani Gibbs 0 0-0 0, Sarah Jeffries 1 0-0 3, Rachel VanDeVelde 1 0-0 2, Devon Peterson 0 0-0 0, Nicole Withrow 3 1-2 10, Donel Samuel 1 0-0 2, Curran Riley 5 3-4 13, Katelyn Klein 0 1-2 1, Alex Strom 8 3-6 24. Totals 19 8-14 55.
Morrison 11 9 12 19 — 51
Galva 17 7 22 9 — 55
3-point goals — Galva 9 (Strom 5, Withrow 3, Jeffries). Total fouls — Morrison 17; Galva 19. Fouled out — Davis.
ERIE, Ill. —
Herald Staff Report
Boys basketball: Kings open with a playoff-like win
CLINTON -- The calendar may say December, but the atmosphere in Yourd Gym on Tuesday night felt like a game that should be played in January. After coming off a 7-15 season, the River Kings started the season 1-0 by defeating Cedar Rapids Jefferson
- Illini dealt first loss ATLANTA -- For a stretch of the second half, Georgia Tech had no answer for Illinois junior Rayvonte Rice. The Yellow Jackets finally showed they could overcome Rice with better team play. Georgia Tech closed the game with a 19-4 run to rally from a
- Stars end Blackhawks' win streak CHICAGO -- No 11-round shootout this time. Just a series of big stops for Kari Lehtonen. Lehtonen had a season-high 47 saves, Antoine Roussel converted a penalty shot in the third period and the Dallas Stars snapped the Chicago Blackhawks' six-game w
- 17-point run sinks UNI MILWAUKEE -- Matt Tiby and Jordan Aaron scored 19 points apiece to lead Milwaukee over Northern Iowa 83-72 in college men's basketball Tuesday night. Milwaukee (8-2) had four players in double figures, with Steve McWhorter adding 16 and Austin Arians
- Saints end long road trip with loss DEERFIELD, Ill. - The Ashford University women's basketball team wrapped up a five-game road trip Tuesday night, dropping a 55-42 contest to Trinity International University (Ill.). In the first of three regular season meetings between the two clubs,
- Hawkeyes hold on after Marble's run IOWA CITY -- Iowa tried to wear down Notre Dame with its superior depth -- but the Fighting Irish wouldn't back down. So the Hawkeyes instead leaned on their three stars; Aaron White, Devyn Marble and emerging standout Jarrod Uthoff, to hold off the
Wrestling: Steamers drop a pair of dual matches
SHERRARD, Ill. -- Zack Jenkins and Alex Rowland were double winners for Fulton, but the Steamers lost a pair of dual meets in high school wrestling Tuesday night. Jenkins had a pin in a 54-15 loss to Sherrard and won by forfeit in a 40-30 setback aga
Girls basketball: Big second half carries Prince of Peace
CLINTON -- Prince of Peace pulled away in the third quarter and defeated Calamus-Wheatland 37-25 on Tuesday in Tri-Rivers Conference girls basketball at Central Catholic Auditorium. The Irish used a balanced attack with Jackie Kokjohn (illness) out o
Boys' Basketball: Bauers' big night fuels Central DeWitt
DEWITT -- Kyle Bauer started his senior season in scorching fashion with eight made field goals in Central DeWitt's 56-42 win over Beckman Catholic of Dyersville on Tuesday night. Bauer hit eight field goals giving him 19 points. Lucas Daniel nearly
Kings 'most excited' for the new season
Although the River Kings will make their home debut tonight when they host Cedar Rapids Jefferson, the hype behind this 2013-14 season is already in full swing.
- More Sports Headlines
- Boys basketball: Kings open with a playoff-like win