- Hammel, Olt lead Cubs past D'backs CHICAGO (AP) -- Jason Hammel is certain the Chicago Cubs are better than their record so far. Hammel pitched seven strong innings, Mike Olt hit a three-run home run and Nate Schierholtz drove in a pair of early runs to lead the Cubs to a 9-2 victory
- Schreiber wins dual; Coppess 2nd at tri BETTENDORF -- To be the best, you have to beat the best. Brittany Coppess came close to doing that Tuesday at Hidden Hills Golf Course in a triangular meet between North Scott, Clinton and Pleasant Valley. Coppess finished with a nine-hole 42, 5 over
- Jones has eyes set on prize FULTON, Ill. -- Ethan Jones has all the confidence that he can become the Three Rivers Conference Player of the Year in baseball. "I just need to work hard, show up everyday and just play the best that I can every game so I can help my team win," Jo
- Lancers blank Queens, Kings CLINTON -- Chloe Gottschalk scored a hat trick to lead North Scott past Clinton 7-0 in girls soccer Tuesday night. Gina Matthys added a pair of goals, while Lindsay Gallens and Olivia Schmidt scored once apiece. Abby Nass played all 80 minutes in goa
- Bandits bang out 11 runs on LumberKings CLINTON -- At least the kids who showed up for the Clinton LumberKings game on Tuesday afternoon had a good time. The home team on the field didn't after dropping the matinee to Quad Cities 11-2. Eddie Campbell got the ball for the LumberKings, but
- Kings kick off big week at Gateway CLINTON -- It's not quite the state meet in terms of importance, but this week is right up there for the Clinton boys track and field team. Seniors Deshond Robinson and Nathan Harden were in top form Tuesday as they tuned up for the Drake Relays by h
- Loss puts Bulls in a big hole CHICAGO -- This one looked as if it were slipping away from the Washington Wizards. Then, in a flash everything changed. Bradley Beal came on strong late in regulation to finish with 26 points, Nene scored six of his 17 points in overtime and the Wiz
- Welcome-back win CLINTON -- Scoring in every event, the Camanche boys track and field team presented coach Mark Metzger with a terrific "welcome back" gift Tuesday evening. The Indians piled up 171 points to win the Class B portion of the 94th annual Gateway Classic
Players relent, agree to play for reinstated football coach
Minnesota State University-Mankato's football team has ended its boycott of reinstated head coach Todd Hoffner, who successfully fought child pornography charges and other misconduct accusations that removed him from the job for 20 months.
Hoffner said he assured the players, who refused to take the practice field Wednesday, that interim coach Aaron Keen, who led the team in Hoffner's absence, will continue in a major role with the team.
- Morrison wins twinbill at Fulton FULTON, Ill. -- As Fulton baseball coach Kyle Miller put it after losing both games to Morrison on Monday, the losses were tough to swallow, but all the Steamers could do afterward was tip their hats toward the Mustangs. Morrison won 1-0, then 11-4
- More Sports Headlines