- State News
Iowa checks worth nearly $7 million go uncashed
Nearly $7 million worth of checks issued by the state of Iowa have gone uncashed in the last 19 months, and it’s not easy to find out if any of that money is yours.
Iowa Legislature convenes for 100-day session
The Iowa Legislature is opening the 2014 session of the 85th General Assembly with the modest goals of approving a budget and pursuing legislation on issues like Internet access, bullying and veteran support.
Dealer: Chicago gun sales 'a business opportunity'
CHICAGO (AP) -- Firearms dealers are welcoming a judge's ruling calling the city's ban on gun sales unconstitutional. Barry Soskin owns a suburban gun shop named Article II Range. He calls the potential for Chicago sales "a business opportunity in a
Iowa to remove question for felons on form
IOWA CITY (AP) -- Iowa is moving to revise its voter registration application to help clear up widespread confusion over felons' voting rights, according to an administrative rule published Tuesday. The change, adopted by a bipartisan commission, wou
- Bitterly cold weather exposes unsafe practices to stay warm CEDAR RAPIDS -- Cold weather is nothing new for Alliant Energy customers. Even so, the forecasted temperatures this week are a little extreme, so Alliant Energy reminds customers about some common safety tips to help keep customers warm and safe duri
- Obama gift mistakenly finds its way to Chicago-area home WADSWORTH, Ill. -- A book of personal White House family photos was mistakenly sent to a suburban Chicago woman, who says she's making sure the Christmas gift finds its way to the rightful recipient. Alane Church told NBC's "Today" show she was surpr
- Iowa woman wins ring inspired by Princess Diana DAVENPORT -- A Cedar Rapids woman who visited a Davenport museum exhibit about Princess Diana says she cried tears of joy when she learned she had won a raffle prize that included a ring that's inspired by royalty -- and valued at $7,000. Maria Shebe
Quinn wants higher minimum wage by Christmas 2014
CHICAGO (AP) -- Gov. Pat Quinn says he wants to raise Illinois' minimum wage to at least $10 by Christmas of next year. The Chicago Democrat who's seeking re-election campaigned on the issue in 2010 and mentioned it during his annual address this yea
ACA — Thousands told to start over on health insurance
CHICAGO (AP) -- Illinois officials are emailing and calling thousands of people, advising them to start over on their health insurance applications if they believe the federal government mistakenly referred to Medicaid. Federal officials received mor
Quinn says ADM decision good news for Ill. economy
CHICAGO (AP) -- Gov. Pat Quinn says he stressed Illinois' workforce and transportation when pitching the state to be headquarters of Archer Daniels Midland Company. Quinn told reporters Wednesday that he spoke with ADM CEO Patricia Woertz several tim
- More State News Headlines
- Iowa checks worth nearly $7 million go uncashed