The Clinton Herald, Clinton, Iowa

Breaking News

Top News

March 10, 2014

Clinton home damaged by fire

CLINTON — A Clinton residence was damaged by a Saturday fire that was started by combustibles stored too close to a gas water heater in a laundry room.

Heat from the water heater ignited these items, located on the floor, spreading the fire through the utility room and into the hallway.

The Clinton Fire Department was dispatched at 1:06 p.m. to 4136 Bellevue Road for a report of a fire in the basement. According to a press release, the homeowner was alerted by a smoke detector in the basement.

Firefighters arrived on the scene to find smoke showing from the residence. Crews confined the fire to the laundry room and a hallway in the finished basement, extinguishing it and bringing it under control within 20 minutes.

The Camanche and Fulton fire departments assisted with a water shuttle, as there are no fire hydrants in the area. Also assisting at the scene were the Clinton Police Department and Alliant Energy.

The entire house suffered smoke damage as well as heat and water damage to the basement rooms. The damage is estimated at $120,000.

 

1
Text Only
Top News
AP Video