CLINTON — An area church recently awarded area organizations with grants.
The Bickelhaupt Arboretum, the Felix Adler Children’s Discovery Center, First Circle Friends, YWCA, Voices for the Land/Monarch Teacher Network and Haley Westerkamp were grant recipients.
• $300 to Bickelhaupt Arboretum for most of the cost of printing arboretum brochures.
• $1,500 to the Discovery Center for “Family First” scholarships. “Family First” is an effort by which families residing at the YWCA shelter obtain free membership to the Discovery Center.
• $1,500 to First Circle Friends for helping with any physical needs of First Circle’s participating churches, as well as helping with a “scholarship” fund to subsidize the regular fee of $45 per participant per day. This is a newly-emerging ecumenical ministry striving to serve those in early- to mid-stages of memory loss and their caregivers.
• $1,500 to YWCA for ongoing costs for the domestic violence shelter.
• $750 to Voices for the Land/Monarch Teacher Network for subsidizing registrations for an event that will bring a team of two nationally known educators from the Monarch Watch Network to Clinton to provide a two-day workshop for educators and others who serve children.
• $750 to Ashford University student Haley Westerkamp to help her embark on a three-month service trip this summer to Uganda with the Christian ministry Child Voice International. Child Voice International works to restore hope to families and children affected by the devastation of war. She is responsible for raising her own funding for this trip.