CAMANCHE — Camanche firefighters were called to Economy Coatings on Thursday after a fire broke out in a railroad hopper car.
The Camanche Fire Department was dispatched to the business, located at 416 21st St., at 10:46 a.m. According to a press release, firefighters arrived on scene to find moderate black smoke coming from inside one section of the hopper car.
The fire was brought under control in about 10 minutes, fire officials said. The cause of the fire was accidental in nature and appears to have started when grain residue inside the hopper spontaneously combusted. The fire caused minimal damage to the rail car. There were no injuries. The owner was insured. The fire department was on scene for about 45 minutes.