Google Maps street view of 314 18th Place

This screenshot shows a Google Maps street view of 314 18th Place in Clinton. A fire at the home Wednesday displaced six people, the Clinton Fire Department said.

CLINTON – A home destroyed by fire Wednesday had no smoke detectors Battalion Chief and Fire Marshal Jeff Chapman said Thursday. If the fire had occurred at night when everyone was asleep, “They probably wouldn’t have made it out of the house,” Chapman said.

Clinton firefighters were called to 314 18th Place in Clinton about 12:37 p.m. Wednesday and found visible flames upon arrival. Three occupants of the two-story home had evacuated the structure, a statement from the Fire Department said.

Chapman said two escaped out the front of the house and one escaped out the back. Two were adults; one was a child.

Two people were assessed for injury; one refused medical care and the other was transported to MercyOne in Clinton.

The home is owned by Dennis and Sandra Clark, according to the Clinton County Assessor’s website, but Chapman said the owners do not live in the home. Their daughter, her husband, three children and a cousin lived in the house, Chapman said.

Clinton fire contacted the Red Cross to provide aid to the six people who were displaced, but Chapman believed the residents were assisted by family members.

Clinton Fire Department offers free smoke detectors, Chapman said. Anyone who doesn’t have the devices installed in their homes can call the department for a home assessment, he said.

Firefighters gained control of the fire in about 30 minutes, according to the Clinton Fire Department statement. Units remained on scene until after 4 p.m., performing salvage operations.

The Camanche Fire Department provided a rapid intervention team. Fulton Fire Department responded as mutual aid and provided emergency coverage at the station, the statement said.

Clinton police provided assistance and scene control and management.

Clinton Fire gave no cause for the fire.