GOOSE LAKE — A total of 91 large group speech students, led by Jennifer Huling, Matt Bolahan and Rachel Pasker, represented Northeast High School at Conference Large Group Speech Contest hosted at Cascade High School.
The team prepared 32 events in 11 categories and earned 19 Division I ratings and 13 Division II ratings.
“It’s exciting to see kids perform for a judge for the first time," Huling said. "They have created solid performances, but now we have feedback to prepare for district level competition.”
EVENTS EARNING DIVISION I RATINGS
– Broken – A Varsity One Act Play following the struggles of a young girl thrown into the world of human trafficking. Participants are Alecca Gray, Allyse Marx, Caelan Machande, Carly Hasken, Haley Snyder, Jacey House, Jacob Crow, Katelyn Howe, Katie Matthew, Kerstin Shecterle, Natalie Spooner, Nate Bailey, Sam Lueders and Tory Sullivan.
– The Note – A Varsity Group Mime illustrating the power of music and love for a veteran. Participants are Amber Friedrichsen, Aubreigh Machande, Camryn Kelter, Keidyne Machande and Santiago Bravo.
– Don’t Worry About It – A Varsity Short Film fueled by betrayal. Participants are Blake Pataska, Kaleb Schneider, Kayla Kennicker, Keenan Bredekamp, Makena Franks and Riley Anderson. Received second place at conference.
– Group Improvisation – Playing guitar hero at a retirement center. Participants are Nathan Ketelsen, Jessica Meyer and Zebediah Cox.
– Broken Mind – A Varsity Short Film showing a young girl coming to terms with her past. Participants are Audrey Morris, Blake Thompson, Erica DeLarm, Ian Stetzel, Moira Murrell and Richie Edens.
– Isolation – A Varsity Ensemble Acting with a comedic twist on an otherwise haunting experience. Participants are Amber Friedrichsen, Erica DeLarm, Ireland Knapper and Miya Messerich. Received third at conference.
– The Other Room – A Varsity Ensemble Acting following a student with mental disabilities struggling with her internal voices. Participants are Alyssa Pessman, Bree Mangelsen, Caelan Machande, Keidyne Machande, Molly Holdgrafer and Taylor Flemming
– In the Darkest of Times – A 9th Grade Short Film that shows the audience how one interaction can change a life. Participants are Aleigha Robinson, Amadeo Porras, Beth Lamp, Ciera Krogman, Jessica Meyer and Sierra Wegener.
– Late Night at the Toy Store – A Varsity Group Mime that brings you into the world of what happens in a toy store when the lights turn off. Participants are Aubrey O’Dell, Brooke Petersen, Colton Holdgrafer, Evan Empen, Hannah Feddersen and Kristen Petry. Received first at conference.
– Doctor Horrible’s Sing Along Blog – A Varsity Ensemble Acting that follows a villain and his struggle to find love in the most horrible places. Participants are Chad Williams and Isabelle Clarke. Received first at conference.
– P.E. is Required – A Varsity Solo Mime following the struggles of a girl trying to get through gym class. Participant is Laura Richards.
– A Toothy Tale – A Varsity Solo Mime bringing you on an epic journey into the mind of a social outcast. Participant is Grace Trenkamp.
– 4 is the Loneliest Number – A 9th Grade Solo Mime showing the impact music can have on anyone. Participant is Bryce Guilliams. Received first at conference.
– Level Up – A Varsity Solo Mime showing a child learning confidence in a strange land. Participant is Kerstin Shecterle. Received third at conference.
– Shrek the Musical – A Varsity Musical Theater following an ogre and his journey to true friendship. Participants are Chad Williams, Garrett Kientopf, Ireland Knapper, Isabelle Clarke, Katelyn Howe and Laura Richards.
– GAMA – A Varsity Television News broadcasting from outer space. Participants are Blake Thompson, Brooke Petersen, Bryn Hartman, Evan Empen, Ian Stetzel, Jacob Crow, Matthew Bebense, Quillen Schroeder and Samantha Dann. Received first at conference.
– War of the Worlds – A Varsity Readers Theater based on the popular H.G. Wells’ book taking place during an alien invasion in southern England. Participants are Alecca Gray, Bree Mangelsen, Carly Hasken, Claire Abbott, Cody Pridemore, Colton Holdgrafer, Hannah Feddersen, Jacey House, Kayla Kennicker, Makenna McDonald, Marisa Heine, Matthew Bebense, Natalie Spooner and Tory Sullivan. Received second at conference.
– KOLD – A Varsity Radio Broadcast for senior citizens in a fictitious nursing home. Participants are Breckin Heath, Jenz Bahnsen, Morgan Hines and Quillen Schroeder.
– KORN – A 9th Grade Radio Broadcast for all things agriculture. Participants are Aleigha Robinson, Dakota Wilke, Emma Garien, Emma Ketelsen, Gracie Gerth and Michael Mulholland. Received third at conference.
EVENTS EARNING DIVISION II RATINGS
– Replay – A Varsity Group Mime following a group of friends as they deal with a huge tragedy. Participants are Cora Leonard, Cora Wiersema, Grace Trenkamp, Morgan Hines, Paige Bauer and Taylor Flemming.
– Group Improvisation. – In a TV western. Participants are Blake Pataska, Garrett Kientopf, Jenz Bahnsen and Marcella Kientopf.
– Ghost Hunters of Route 666 – A 9th Grade Ensemble Acting uncovering the history of a haunted restaurant. Participants are Abby Krause, Brooke Kucera, Kesley Holdgrafer, Nolan Holdgrafer and Thomas Machande.
– Tech Meltdown – A 9th Grade Group Mime showing the technology gap between the generations. Participants are Abbigail Moraetes, Brooke Kucera, Emma Garien and Micayla Martin.
– Cinderella – A 9th Grade Musical Theatre based on the popular Rogers and Hammerstein’s fairytale. Participants are Ciera Krogman, Clarissa Jacobsen and Katy French.
– Group Improvisation – Family Dinner Time. Participants are Aubreigh Machande, Camryn Kelter, Haley Snyder and Samantha Dann.
– The Terrible Things – A Varsity Choral Reading that is an allegory for the Holocaust taking place in the clearing of the woods. Participants are Alysse Marx, Alyssa Pessman, Bryn Hartman, Claire Abbot, Cora Leonard, Katie Matthew, Kristen Petry, Makenna McDonald, Marcella Kientopf, Miya Messerich, Moira Murrell and Molly Holdgrafer.
– All Summer in a Day – A 9th Grade Readers Theater depicting what happens when you are alone in a world filled with people of different beliefs. Participants are Abbigail Moraetes, Antane Nelson, Beth Lamp, Clarissa Jacobsen, Dakota Wilke, Emma Ketelsen, Gracie Gerth, Katy French, Nolan Holdgrafer, Sierra Wegener, Valerie Spooner and Zebediah Cox.
– Adopted – A 9th Grade Solo Mime that reminds us how important, and cute, man’s best friend can be. Participant is Micayla Martin.
– Group Improvisation – You lost the instructions. Participants are Breckin Heath, Cody Pridemore and Keenan Bredekamp.
– Group Improvisation – Opera singer giving direction to a tour bus driver. Participants are Abby Krause, Kesley Holdgrafer and Antane Nelson.
– KGKO – A 9th Grade Radio Broadcast for high school students. Participants are Amadeo Porras, Kolton Banker and Nathan Ketelsen.
– English Made Simple – A 9th Grade Ensemble Acting showing the inner works on a couple going through an interesting therapy session. Participants are Bryce Guilliams, Michael Mulholland and Valerie Spooner.
The District speech contest will be hosted Jan. 20 at Monticello High School.