CLINTON — An international outpouring of support has been shown to a Clinton family whose child was bitten by a dog last week.

A fundraising effort to support Lucas Harrison, who sustained serious facial injuries, has brought in over $162,000 from more than 6,000 people in the last five days. There has also been a public Facebook group where Harrison’s recovery will be tracked and people can leave their well wishes.

“Thank you everyone for the continued thoughts and prayers for our sweet baby Lucas and our family. They are much appreciated,” Holly Harrison, Lucas’s mom, said in a recent post to the group.

The incident happened around 4:50 p.m. March 15, according to a civil citation filed Wednesday and issued to Ashley Greene that accuses her of possessing a dangerous animal.

Clinton Police Chief Kevin Gyrion said that if there is a call for a dog bite, a police officer will respond. Whether the dog is removed from the home or not is on a case-by-case basis, he said. In this case, the owner of the dog, Greene, was cited so the dog was removed from the home to be quarantined.

Gyrion confirmed the dog is currently at the Clinton Humane Society, where it will stay until at least March 28. On March 28, a local judge will determine whether the pit-mix adopted out by the humane society is to be declared dangerous.

According to Clinton City Ordinance 91.127 and 91.128, a dog that is declared dangerous must be registered with the city as a dangerous animal, confined indoors unless it is on a leash less than 4 feet and has a muzzle on, and the owner must prove they have at least $100,000 in personal liability insurance on their homeowner’s policy.

There is no language in the dangerous animal ordinances requiring a dog that is declared dangerous to be euthanized.

A spokesperson for the Clinton Humane Society told the Herald she could not comment on their quarantine policies or any information related to the dog.

(Ed Note: A decline for comment was previously attributed to Lilly Wisely, Wisely is no longer the director at the Humane Society and did not make the comment. The Herald regrets the error.)

Trending Video